Other Possible PCI extender fault?

XCOM-SFF

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Hello Everyone

I am looking for some advice regarding my current build using the Lian-Li PC-05 case. The computer will not boot with the PCI extender connected.

I am in the process of testing the components and the system boots up fine, however when I insert the PCI Extender which is required to fit the graphics card, the computer will not boot even when a graphics card is not connected on the other end. Please note, I am using the original PCI Extender/Riser that was fitted with the case.

The main PCI socket is working as I have plugged graphics card directly into the socket, it booted up fine.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards - Athy

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah that thing is broken for sure, it should not be doing anything to the system if no GPU is connected. Send a mail to LianLi and ask them to replace it, they're normally very quick with that sort of thing.

And don't try to test it any further on your board, you never know what exactly is broken, might fry your board worst case.

Reactions: Soul_Est

XCOM-SFF

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Some good news, the manufacturer Lian-Li are dispatching a replacing connector, should hopefully arrive this week.

However I've been thinking, do you think using the connector would impact performance of the graphics card? I have a GTX 1080.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
However I've been thinking, do you think using the connector would impact performance of the graphics card? I have a GTX 1080.
Nope. Unless the riser is so awful that it's causing failures and bluescreens, or is broken and not running at x16 (both of which will be pretty obvious / easy to check) then a functioning riser will have no performance impact over direct connection.

XCOM-SFF

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Nope. Unless the riser is so awful that it's causing failures and bluescreens, or is broken and not running at x16 (both of which will be pretty obvious / easy to check) then a functioning riser will have no performance impact over direct connection.

Thank you for your reply, that's great news. I'll post up a build log once I receive the replacement part.