Concept POP rivet that also acts as a standoff

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
that's a quick question and should be seen as such:

Have you guys ever used one of these as standoff + fastening element, coupled with some M4 screws?

FYI: POP rivet nut.

I'm planning on using it and would like to know if any of you have experiences with this kind of rivet.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I'm not sure, @CC Ricers. my prefered retailer came up with some new items and, after a lot of searching and thinking, I decided to came here and try to reinvent the wheel...

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I tried one of these and the thread side is actually as big as a standard standoff.

I didn't get what you told about washers. They follow the overall guidelines of screw, as normal, regardless of screw socket in use (i.e.: if you can screw it, you can use the adequate washer on it).

Bumblebee

Case Bender
New User
Jun 16, 2018
These are different from PEM nuts in that they don't need to be installed from the backside of the material. They're often used in tubing where you don't have access to the inside. They are meant to be riveted into a hole, not just pressed in like a PEM insert so they will get a little shorter when installed correctly

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
These are different from PEM nuts in that they don't need to be installed from the backside of the material. [...] They are meant to be riveted into a hole, not just pressed in like a PEM insert so they will get a little shorter when installed correctly

Everything you said is an statement that this fastener is a pop rivet after all. The added nut is the real reason i'm suggesting this to be used as a better fastening element for some small scratch builds.

They're often used in tubing where you don't have access to the inside.

Maybe your statement is true, regarding to the rivet above, but the rivet on the first post is more expensive and probly have a nut for a good reason.

Bumblebee

Case Bender
New User
Jun 16, 2018
Rivet nuts are installed in a similar way to pop rivets except the mandrel is threaded in and removed after install instead of pulled until it snaps. The job of rivet nuts are to put threads in thin materials, just like you are suggesting, instead of fastening two pieces of material together (though it can serve two functions and do this as well)

Reactions: cleveland