Image Credit - PNY XLR8

Consoles are basically SFF computers with custom interfaces these days. The PS5 has been allowing users to upgrade their storage with M.2 SSDs for some time now. Sony recommends that users use a drive with some sort of heatsink, and PNY XLR8 thinks they have they answer. Claiming to increase cooling capacity by 40%, the XLR8 PS5 SSD Cover actually replaces the built-in cover on the PS5. This basically uses every mm of space which is a good thing.

Having upgraded my personal PS5, it's good to see some specifically designed heatsinks coming out. This one includes fins which substantially improves surface area. Considering the very limited airflow to the SSD, this is a good thing. However, the claim of a 40% improvement is questionable at best, and XLR8 has marked all their material with a "reddot" award winner. This, in my opinion, is a garbage marketing award that is bought and paid for rather than winning due to any merits of the product.

Pricing for the US hasn't been set as of writing, but I expect it to be $29 to $39.

You can check out the XLR8 PS5 SSD Heatsink Cover by CLICKING HERE.

Reactions: Phuncz