Please verify my build plan

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
HI All,

This is what i plan on putting in my NCASE. can you please confirm if the parts will fit?

NZXT Kraken X52 240mm - RL-KRX52-02
2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan (to replace stock fans on the X52)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core
ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming, X570 mini-ITX Gaming motherboard
CORSAIR SF Series, SF750, 750 Watt, SFX, 80+
Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080TI Overclocked

From all i read, all this should fit, but i would appreciate some heads up if this combo will cause me issues.

Also, will there be room to fit some case fans in there w/this setup? If so, what is recommended?

Many thanks in advance!

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
You should be able fit 2 slim fans in the bottom of the case, e.g. Noctua NF-A12-15. You can't fit a 92mm fan in the rear, it will be obstructed by your radiator with fans. But if you don't mind you could mount the fan on the outside of the case.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Like jetpaction said. Other than that, everything seems fine. For great temps and silence, try the fans underneath the gpu as intake (exhaust will exhaust the gpu from air so leave it intake) and experiment with the radiator as exhaust/intake. Intake will be better for cpu and chipsets on mobo, but I don't know what it will do to a 2080ti.

Lastly, both 2080ti and 3900x need to be undervolted for perfect and quiet operation + some custom fan curves.

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
are you sure the 15mm noctura model will fit beneath a asus ROG strx 2080ti OC card? I've been studying pics of other builds and it looks like this is going to be very very tight...

i picked up 2x to try, but i'm concerned that there won't be enough clearance.

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
Thank you! Just confirming, the fans are going to be intake, correct? I don't want to fight against my strix fans... especially as they are snug up against each other.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Thank you! Just confirming, the fans are going to be intake, correct? I don't want to fight against my strix fans... especially as they are snug up against each other.
Let me know if it makes a difference in temps! And yes, with the stock gpu, you don't want to fight the gpu fans. So set them as intake.

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
temps are ice cold so far, however i've not adjusted my fan speeds yet. right now they are spinning at turbo stock, and it is super noisy. I have to read some tuts and make some tweaks here.

I also am going to be able to fit a 14mm thick 92mm fan in the back as an exhaust. Looks like it will fit just fine even with my kraken x52 despite what i have heard... this will do great as exhaust pulling the hot air from the intake aio and forcing it out the back.

Reactions: Ncasem1v6.1

p64imp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
just wanted to add that the reason why my fans were so so noisy is the copper shim i stuck between the noctura fan and gpu actually stopped the rear gpu fan from spinning. when one of the 3 fans stops, it causes the other 2 to throttle max speed to catch up. There was no issue as the noctura fans do more than the stock gpu fans do, but thankfully i caught this before any damage hit the fan from being stuck.

I backed the shim out just a bit and now all fans spin with no buzz. The noise levels now are very tolerable (and about even with my projector which this is mounted by, which makes the cpu fan noise very negligible).

I still plan to do some OC'ing and UV'ing, and fan speed curve adjusting, but honestly the way its working stock right now is just fine too!

Ran a few matches of call of duty modern warfare - all max settings with ray tracing enabled and it ran at stellar frame rates :)

Reactions: HyperActive

Apiris

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 2, 2020
I ended up building a very similar setup (using an x53 and no rear exhaust fan) and can confirm it's perfectly cool and silent. I didn't use a copper shim though, I wedged in the tip of the rubber rods that come with the Noctua fans and just snipped off the base.

Apiris

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 2, 2020
It's also worth noting that I'm running the GPU in the 0db mode via the onboard switch (which disables the stock fans until 55C).

binx23

Case Bender
New User
Apr 20, 2020
Hey man! Did you finish the build? How did it go? Im planning to build something very very similar, can you please share some photos of your setup? Especially the GPU and bottom fans. Many thanks!

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
Hey,
just wanted to add that the reason why my fans were so so noisy is the copper shim i stuck between the noctura fan and gpu actually stopped the rear gpu fan from spinning. when one of the 3 fans stops, it causes the other 2 to throttle max speed to catch up. There was no issue as the noctura fans do more than the stock gpu fans do, but thankfully i caught this before any damage hit the fan from being stuck.

I backed the shim out just a bit and now all fans spin with no buzz. The noise levels now are very tolerable (and about even with my projector which this is mounted by, which makes the cpu fan noise very negligible).

I still plan to do some OC'ing and UV'ing, and fan speed curve adjusting, but honestly the way its working stock right now is just fine too!

Ran a few matches of call of duty modern warfare - all max settings with ray tracing enabled and it ran at stellar frame rates :)
Hey there! I’m about to try and cram a strix 2080ti and noctua slims into an ncase myself, and I was hoping you might be able to provide a few details for me! For example, how you managed to fit the fans, and as far as the shims that you used, where did you place them on top of the fans?

Any other insights that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
I ended up building a very similar setup (using an x53 and no rear exhaust fan) and can confirm it's perfectly cool and silent. I didn't use a copper shim though, I wedged in the tip of the rubber rods that come with the Noctua fans and just snipped off the base.
How/where did you wedge the rubber not in your build?