Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Yeah, the TaoBao shop is not operated by ADT but some distributor for 3M (besides other cables & connectors).

Not sure if/how this company is linked with ADT but from the pictures both look pretty much the same. Maybe it's some kind of reference design.

Last edited:

lehman

Trash Compacter
Jan 9, 2019
Does the 3M cable do pcie 4.0? It sure looks like the 3M cables. I have 2 from 5 years ago that have always worked, but I never tried them on a pcie 4.0 system.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I doubt a riser cable from 5 years ago would work with PCIe 4.0

PCIe 4.0 has a much higher bandwidth and requires better shielding / higher quality wiring to work without issues. You can compare this with older HDMI cables which often have issues with HDMI 2.0 or 2.1

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
Very happy that I have a T1 on the way, but the 3.0 riser is a bummer (I know they have one being readied that isn't available yet). I'll be keeping any eye out for any alternatives in the mean time. If someone purchases this I hope they post here & test it ?

lehman

Trash Compacter
Jan 9, 2019
Looks like the old 3M does work.

Today I tested the PCIe 4.0 compatibility with all A4-SFX generations and here are the results:

Windows 10 crashed with a blue screen directly after the boot logo on the v3 and v4 risers. Only the 3M Twin Axial riser was able to handle PCIe 4.0. I made a 6 hours benchmark run through Futuremark, Valley Benchmark and some games without a problem. So if you have a v3 and v4 case, don't worry just setup PCIe link speed gen3 in UEFI. Currently the performance loss is 0%.

Tomorrow I will do some thermal test on the Ryzen 3700X.

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
Interesting!

If you zoom in on the photos of the ADT G402-3 PCIe x16 4.0 cable it says "GIGA-MEGA 20200709" (Numbers are the batch code referring to manufacture date).

Quick Google search and I found the OEMs website: http://giga-mega.com/en/

They look to be a Chinese company that sources the cables from 3M (some of the photos are of actual 3M products) Quote from website "Utilizing 3M™Twin Axial Cable technology"

Also, Photo from Guangzhou Giga-Mega website,
Corsair One iCUE models folded 3M PCIe cable:

From the website again. Here it's installed in a Corsair One Gen1 (10 series GPUs) because the original cables (were not 3M but the early PCIe3.0 cables like this one) were susceptible to causing artefacts in heavy GPU loads after a certain amount of time from heat. A lot of RMA requests from that can be seen on forums.

Last edited:

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
So, considering that the older 3.0 3M riser cables work on 4.0... then it feels like this really comes down to the quality of the cable, and shielding, right? Is it possible that quality, well-shielded M.2 to PCIe 3.0 adapter would work on 4.0?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
So, considering that the older 3.0 3M riser cables work on 4.0... then it feels like this really comes down to the quality of the cable, and shielding, right? Is it possible that quality, well-shielded M.2 to PCIe 3.0 adapter would work on 4.0?

Yeah, seems the 3M riser cables are really good quality. As you said I also think it comes down to high quality EMI shielding and very low resistance of the conductors (wires) in order to get a stable link with that high bandwidth. I have no hardware to test it but I could imagine that one of the ADT M2 riser cables could work if it's just short enough. My assumption: shorter wires means less resistance and longer wires make pretty good "antennas" to pick up EMI. that's only my theory but maybe someone has the hardware to test it... ;)