Passive VR gaming build FC5

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Update time!

Most of this work has been done during the week, but I have a bit of a head cold so thought I would write it up rather than just watching TV and hibernating. First off, some more aluminium was sacrificed to the god of silence. I'm thinking she is a rather stern looking librarian.

This is bolted together and skimmed on the mill to flatten. My hacksaw skill is only 2/10, so was rather wonky.

Then some copper is cut up to make the rest of the heatpads:

I did some more mill work that I again failed to document, basically culling most of a poor 5mm aluminum sheet and breaking a couple of router bits along the way. Here is the result, the bottom GPU heatblock.

Some heatpipes were added to the sacrificial pile to give you all an indication of how they will sit.

After some more mill work I finished the top block.

The black hex screws can be tightened, drawing the GPU heat pad upwards and squashing (by about 0.5 - 1mm) it against the bottom of the copper heat pipes inside the heat block. This will hopefully ensure a good contact with the copper heat pad and heat pipes.

The green dots will be the entry points for the heat pipes into the heat sink, they will then run most of the length of the sink to try to heat as much of the aluminium block as possible.

Anyone notice this earlier on?

The VRM cooling will be performed buy another mini block, yet to be made. This will be routed as the below.

Im now waiting for some screws and I think I will need to order some more heatpipes :)

The AC-DC 400 converter is due to be available from HDPLEX in the next couple of weeks. I cant wait for that so I can finish the electric side of the build too. I think I will need some 16 gauge enamelled wire......

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Thank you, I'm really enjoying it too. Feedback has been great and has varied from "your a crazy fool" to just plain "crazy"!

If it all works at the end then I will be amazed. I am expecting to turn it on one of the following occur;

A) a giant fireball
B) a massive bolt of electricity / magic smoke escaping
C) nothing, like it doesn't even turn power up
D) its basically cooks itself inside 10 seconds.

Who knows, whatever happens is been a fun ride :cool:

Reactions: rfarmer

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Another mini update:

The GPU / Memory heat sink is complete. All the heat pipes link to the GPU nicely now.

Some of the bends are sharper than i wanted, I don't think I have many / any kinks, just some narrowing. While this might reduce effectiveness I hope the quantity of pipes will make up for any shortfall.

Next step is the VRM cooling, which should be pretty simple.

Then a ton of lube and we should be good to test. The ACDC unit is still not available from HDPLEX as its still in production, so might have to power the GPU off a separate PSU to see how effective the cooling is while I wait.

Reactions: rfarmer

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I finished off the VRM cooling block

Plugged everything in, adding a spare PSU to power the GPU and its alive!

Sitting at the desktop the GPU sits at 5-10 °C over ambient. Furmark will hit the first set of of thermal limits after 2-3 mins of running.

I believe I am getting good enough contact but I think I might be overloading the copper GPU base or the heatpipes just aren't able to transfer the heat away quick enough.

Need to have a ponder and decide where to go from here.

Reactions: Kooki

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
So had a bit of a play around and I think I didn't quite get a decent connection between pipes and plate.

Each heat pipe should give around 30W of heat transfer, 9 heatpipes should give optimal cooling of ~270W. Even with a 50% reduction due to bending I should be ok.

Further testing indicates I might be OK if i could transfer heat quicker. It took 7 minutes from cool (~20°C ambient) to hit 83°C on the GPU. The aluminium block hit only hit 40°C, so I am getting at some transfer in that time but maybe not enough and the fact it didn't instantly hit the thermal limit shows the theory works.

Options are to redesign the thermal block on the GPU and redo the Alumiuim heatsink to improve heat transfer:

1) Amec Thermasol Flat Heat Pipes, I think I could get with optimal angling >500W of theoretical cooling on the GPU Plate.

2) Move to larger diameter and shorter conventional pipes, some 8mm x 150mm pipes have twice my current transfer capacity. With a redesign I could actually avoid all pipe bending.

3) Mod the existing cooler to add a few heatpipes to the stock GPU cooler and run it semi passive (i.e give up)

I quite like the look of the Amec pipes.....

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Here is the latest setup, some serious success.

After around 8 minutes, managed to get it down to.....
Around 66°C on the GPU, then....

It is with great regret that I can report my 1070 has gone to the great electronic graveyard in the sky. I believe I shorted one of the memory modules (or the little components that sit next to it anyway) as it now absolutely stinks.

I think this is now time for a serious rethink. I'm really annoyed with myself as I think a small metal sliver caused the problem.

I can now complete the build as it is with my 1050ti. will get some pictures up when complete.

:(

Reactions: Kooki

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Oh that is a shame, I was sure you would be able to come up with a solution. Good luck with the 1050 Ti.