dell optiplex 5055 SFF cost can be beaten?

Sdsff

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
I'm looking for a SFF desktop with ryzen pro and vega 11 graphics card. I want to add a second graphics card so it has to have expandable PCI express slots. I believe the optiplex 5055 SFF meets my needs.
However, I am wondering if I should just build it myself. I can get the optiplex refurbished for around 500-600 USD. Including a 256G SSD and 16 Gig ram.
Question is, can I get the same price if I build myself or would it be more expensive? My instinct tells me the dell price will be hard to beat. I know I can easily go to parts picker and do this myself, but I've never built and SFF pc and not sure about my picks. Also, maybe you guys have a better suggestion on an SFF or smaller desktop with vega 11 card and a slot for another card.

Sdsff

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
Take a look at these builds using Ryzen 2400 on pcpartspicker, there are 20 under $500 so you can definitely build one for less.
actually if you pick mini itx, there is only 4 builds under $600. Still I was able to see it's possible.

I started playing around and I came up with this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P2KhxG

Have to do some more research though.
1. Most builds had the thermaltake v1 mini case. I didn't like the square look of it, so I found the node 22. It's an older case and am wondering if its not as good as the thermaltake.
2. Wondering if CAS 18 memory is good enough.
3.pcpartpicker says "Some AMD B350 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Raven Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I know on Newegg they guarantee the Asrock is updated to be compatible with Ryzen 2000. It is also on sale right now for $89.99.

Sdsff

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
I know on Newegg they guarantee the Asrock is updated to be compatible with Ryzen 2000. It is also on sale right now for $89.99.
nice!

considering a fractal design nano s as well:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/snHRhy

It gives a bit more room and support for 3.5" hard drive which the node 202 does not. To be honest, I'd rather go two SSDs on the node 202. However, the extra room for easier cable management/installation is very tempting. I guess I'm afrais to go too small.