Only SFF-build logs allowed on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Just want to clarify; I am now starting an ATX-build, and I was wondering whether or not it is allowed to make a build log of that here? It will be the opposite of an SFF-build with (hopefully) full custom loop in a Define R6. Reason I would like it here, is because I feel more at home on this forum than e.g. over at LinusTechTips. Too much "noise" over there.

@confusis

(reason I make this a public thread, and not a DM, is so others also get to know.)

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
It depends HOW you define SFF really. The Cerebrus X for example. SFF literally means small form factor, but now, (at least to me) SFF is classified as "if every cubic mm is used, its SFF". Really, we need a non-sff builds thread.
By reddit sffpc standards, anything under 20L is SFF. The Cerberus X is 19.5L. I guess technically SFF?

Reactions: loader963

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Been wondering about this also. Definitely tower size case should deserve its own topic, but what about space efficient tower cases? Straight out of my hollow brain, Thermaltake Core G3 and Riotoro 1080 are tower cases with space efficiency in mind... Does both can be considered SFF?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
This is an age old question that has been asked numerous times - is a dense build over 19L truly SFF? Where do we draw the line?

In our (SFF Network) definitive definition, we rely on a hard 19L limit for SFF. No ifs or buts. If it's not SFF, it's off topic. That is all.

This thread will not turn into yet another "what is SFF".

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
By reddit sffpc standards, anything under 20L is SFF. The Cerberus X is 19.5L. I guess technically SFF?
It isn't though, really:
  • 4.97" x 6.78" x 14.09" (counting feet and side panels)
  • 380mm x 172mm x 358mm
  • 14.17" x 6.44" x 12.99" (inside dimension)
  • 359.92mm x 163.67mm x 330.17mm
From the spec sheet. 19.43L is the volume if using the inside dimensions, but no one measures case volumes that way. Using the outside dimensions as given comes out to 23.4L.

Not that I care, personally, or think that this means it's not SFF. IMO SFF is more about how the space is used, rather than any arbitrary liter count.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Yeah, if i fill up a Cadillac Escalade with 2 houses worth of furniture, filled to the last square inch, its still not a compact car. Whether or not all the space is used efficiently, the sub 20L rule makes sense to me. Its Small Form Factor, not Space Effecient Factor.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
This thread will not turn into yet another "what is SFF".
Why not? If it's civil discussion, why moderate it? There's nothing wrong with reevaluating things from time to time. Declaring SFF to be 19 (or 20) liters, period, is not only a completely arbitrary line to draw, but needlessly shuts out discussion that might be of interest to a lot of people who are interested in small form factor. Not to mention it also feels a little elitist. Are we really not going to allow people to post their Cerberus X builds in the build log forum because it's a hair over 20L? That hardly seems reasonable.

If it were up to me, the only verboten (or OT) things would be those that couldn't reasonably be called SFF by any stretch. That's a definition with a lot more leeway, which could easily include cases closer to 30L, as long as they used the space efficiently.

Yeah, if i fill up a Cadillac Escalade with 2 houses worth of furniture, filled to the last square inch, its still not a compact car. Whether or not all the space is used efficiently, the sub 20L rule makes sense to me. Its Small Form Factor, not Space Effecient Factor.
Well, there's a whole lot between a Smart and an Escalade. But to get away from the car analogy, a 25L ATX case is certainly small when compared to the typical 40L+ ATX cases on the market. If you can answer, "relatively speaking, is this small?" affirmatively, than IMO it's certainly within the spirit of SFF.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Necere because we've had a hundred other threads discussing the exact same thing.

Thread locked as it is getting off topic.

Reactions: Biowarejak

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Ok, due to various factors I will renege on my above statement.

All builds may go in to the Build Logs section, no matter the size. It will be up to the community to report any they feel are out of line (or just outright taking the piss).

Status
Not open for further replies.