Old desktop advice

sgsharkie

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
I'm wanting to make the move to desktops and specifically SFF machines but have no need to spend big money on a high-end system as I have a MacBook that does everything I need right now. I'm looking to get into building PCs and like the idea of getting an old machine to play around with.

That being said, I'm looking for some advice from everyone on what would be the best used machine to get that would:
  1. Have a decent older CPU included
  2. Give me scope to upgrade different parts without breaking the bank
  3. Have the potential for easy physical modification eg adding AIOs or building a custom loop
I've been looking at OptiPlex / ProDesk machines running either old Xeons, i3-7100s or i5-4590s.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed, especially if you've done something similar with a machine like that.

nkresho

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2019
I wouldn't start work a prebuilt like a Dell. That's a lot of proprietary parts that will have no upgrade path. Figure out what your intended purpose is. Like rendering or gaming, determine minimum specs, then put together a parts list.

Even better. Post here what you want it to do and what you're ready to spend. Figure monitor in as well as peripherals like keyboard mouse, speakers, etc.

Based on what you've posted, I'd say b450 motherboard, ryzen 1600, 16gb ddr4, your minimum specs gpu (based on needs) and pick case, psu, after. Stock cooler until your ready for more.

Might even be able to find a similar used system for a good price.

Am4 platform (motherboard, processor and ram mentioned above) are all upgradeable to pretty good lengths, pretty modern, and will likely still outperform your laptop.