Log NZXT H1 without GPU

munish259272

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 14, 2020
I am not planning to use any GPU with this setup since i don't play much games but i do it sometime.
I will mostly installed windows VMs on a linux host.

Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz 10-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B460-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA 1200 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Storage PCIe: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage Sata : Kingston Q500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
case: NZXT H1

How will the thermals of the CPU affected without any GPU considering it is only 65 watt CPU for PL1 and around 224 watt for PL2
Also, what GPU you would suggest keeping the thermals in a good range. Right now the only thing that i can think of RTX 2060 because of its low power consumption 160 watts.
The latest 30 series of NVIDIA are too powerful for this case i think and it won't be good in the long run.

Also, i am thinking to buy the front panel replacing the glass panel like this one to reduce the thermals. Do you think its worth it or i am wasting money?

br0qn

Chassis Packer
Oct 18, 2020
If you're really set on the H1 you can make it work. There are some 3080's that fit and some are showing reasonable thermals. But if you aren't gaming and aren't rendering video or doing massive editing you should spend a fraction and get something that pulls less power and generates less heat. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can recommend something .

Here is a 3080 comparability chart.

Replacing the glass panel is a good idea, many people showing nice temp drops. If you want to go the most budget route for reducing thermals in the case, this is the best solution I've seen (thingiverse files). A 3D printed extension on the back that can house two 140x25mm fans, and then you can make a slight mod to the old back panel to use as the front getting rid of the glass.

And there are additional fan mods that may get your thermals in check without losing the glass window. This one, but I'm not sure you lose the 2.5" bay usability or not. This here is the same mod.

Hope that helps.

munish259272

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 14, 2020
One more thing, since NZXT comes with an AIO. I am a complete newbie in this area. Does replacing AIO will involve completely removing it and cleaning the thermal paste on the CPU and reapplying it.
Google says the AIO should last for 5 years approx. I am not sure what will i do when AIO cooler will stop working.