!nverse: A Highly Versatile Steam-Box Design

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
My god that is beautiful. Eager to see what's in the next update. That price point is very attractive and will draw many heads.

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
My god that is beautiful. Eager to see what's in the next update. That price point is very attractive and will draw many heads.
Thanks! I really appreciate the support. It took a lot of effort to get the price down.

As for the update: Our prototype manufacturer had purchased all the materials and should begin manufacturing soon. We are scheduling a meeting with them this coming week to see about the progress. We also found someone who can visit the factory and do some quality control for us, so that's a load off our shoulders as well. All in all, it's going pretty good!

Just noticed the i in inverse is upside down, nice touch :p
Thanks haha. We actually have a logo/font for !nverse that I haven't shown yet. Thinking about where to put it without ruining the aesthetics of the case.

Sorry for the late responses guys. I was on vacation with my fiancee last week :)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hopefully the prototype will hold up to temperature and physical stress tests.
What exactly are you planning? :eek:

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Just got a message from our manufacturer. They’ll be manufacturing our 2 prototypes in the next 2 days! Super excited!

Now we gotta start buying components for testing and some PC building joy!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I already replied on [H], but maybe you could post the configurations you'll be testing here as well? I'm also eagerly awaiting beauty shots of the prototypes, will we get those?

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I already replied on [H], but maybe you could post the configurations you'll be testing here as well? I'm also eagerly awaiting beauty shots of the prototypes, will we get those?

Replied on [H] :)
There is no way that I'm gonna be holding off on beauty shots. In fact, I'll make sure everyone sees them :D

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Awww yeah, I'll be all over those :D The idea with a custom loop sounds awesome, do you already have a layout in mind?
Yeah, I got something in mind, but I only have millimeters of margin, so I'm not sure if I can squeeze it in. I'm gonna try anyway, and if it works it'll be really cool :cool:

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Update 07/28/2015:

Hey everyone! Big update today.

Our manufacturer had produced a sample of our first prototype without any surface finishing, and we visited the factory to quickly test it out. While it worked, we weren't satisfied with its structural rigidity. This case is designed to hold loads (monitors, speakers,etc.), so it's absolutely important that it is physically strong.

Furthermore, our manufacturer said that having a varying-size hole pattern is too time-consuming for them to keep the same production price that we had agreed on. There was also mixed reception from the community regarding this design choice. We also received other feedback from the community, asking for the front IO to be moved to the front as well as for the design of a stand to hold the case vertically. Clearly, a redesign is in order.

After a lot of work, we updated the design to reflect the points mentioned above while keeping the same internal configuration (anything that it could hold before, it can hold now). The new design (renders updated in the OP) is stronger, has USB and audio plugs in the front, and employs a uniform yet unique hole pattern in the front to keep costs low. This new design has been submitted to the manufacturer, and they have made production prints for it. The second prototype is scheduled to begin manufacturing this week. We are also working on a case stand that also doubles as a slim ODD rack.

Despite this small setback in our timeline, we believe that it brought about a big improvement in the design. As always, we welcome any feedback regarding the design. Please don't hesitate to let us know what you think!

Edit: Some images of the first prototype, without any surface finishing.

Last edited:

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Awesome. The new hole design looks interesting but should be easy to fit into my upcoming desk set up. Glad that your taking into account structural strength. I've always wondered, did your team really expect a 20 lb monitor to be used on top of this case. You answered my question :p. Btw.... Do the audio ports have to be red and green? I would pay $10 extra just to have them chrome plated or steel or whatever the big guys use to make them silver color.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looking good! Don't be disheartened by the redesign, it's all part of the process. I think I'm on the 4th or 5th redesign of the frame on Nova so far :p

Edit: So is the power buttom on the bottom now? Seems awkward to press.

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Awesome. The new hole design looks interesting but should be easy to fit into my upcoming desk set up. Glad that your taking into account structural strength. I've always wondered, did your team really expect a 20 lb monitor to be used on top of this case. You answered my question :p. Btw.... Do the audio ports have to be red and green? I would pay $10 extra just to have them chrome plated or steel or whatever the big guys use to make them silver color.

I can ask the manufacturers what color audio ports they can supply. It's a component that we buy from them, so it's basically up to them. Hopefully it won't be a big deal to paint them.

Looking good! Don't be disheartened by the redesign, it's all part of the process. I think I'm on the 4th or 5th redesign of the frame on Nova so far :p

Edit: So is the power buttom on the bottom now? Seems awkward to press.

I was kinda discouraged at first, but after the updated design I've come to see that redesigns are generally a good thing. Can't be too antsy with hardware :)

Yeah, the power button is on the bottom now. Putting it anywhere else sorta messes up the aesthetics. Plus, having it on the bottom prevents super bright LEDs from messing up your sleep (that happens to me a lot. I usually have to throw a towel over my PC). I've made sure to put it really close to the edge (~4mm) so that you barely have to slip a finger in to press it.