!nverse: A Highly Versatile Steam-Box Design

Discussion in 'Custom Cases & Projects' started by esplin2966, Mar 9, 2015.

1. esplin2966

esplin2966 Cable-Tie Ninja

I didn't know there were ncase m1 clones in China. Link?

Taiwanese manufacturers are actually around the same price as US manufacturers, which is kinda crazy because Taiwanese people make way less money.

My pre-prototype was indeed home made :) It was fun, but it helped me realize that prototyping a case is not something that I can do at home. And yes, I used the same manufacturer the whole time.

2. WadeAK78

WadeAK78 Master of Cramming

How much thickness is there for a radiator+fan?

3. esplin2966

The maximum thickness for radiator + fan is 60mm.

WadeAK78 likes this.
  4. iFreilicht

iFreilicht FlexATX Authority

There were some shown in this thread, don't have time to search for the specific post right now.

5. cadiguno

cadiguno SFF Lingo Aficionado

Sorry for necro-ing. This project is one of my favorites, and I haven't heard any news about it for the last few months. Is this project still ongoing? Any updates on the new manufacturer?

6. esplin2966

Hey! Yeah the project is ongoing. We found a new manufacturer after some down selection and recruited someone in China to physically be present to work with our new manufacturer. As a result, I'm feeling much more confident with our manufacturing this time around, and will have more updates once they finish a new prototype for us :)

Ceros_X, Phuncz, Soul_Est and 5 others like this.
  7. cadiguno

cadiguno SFF Lingo Aficionado

Sounds great, I hope things will turn out well :)

Soul_Est and WadeAK78 like this.
  8. CC Ricers

CC Ricers SFF Guru
    Silver Supporter

#208 CC Ricers, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    I bumped this topic to let you guys know that the case project recently went live on Indiegogo. You still have plenty of time left to back the project if you're interested in the case.

EdZ, Phuncz, iFreilicht and 2 others like this.
  9. K888D

K888D SFF Guru
    Bronze Supporter Lazer3D

Wow, they kept that quiet!

WadeAK78 likes this.
  10. WadeAK78

WadeAK78 Master of Cramming

Good luck on the campaign!!

11. confusis

confusis John Morrison. Writer, Editor, Awesome Person.
    Site Staff SFF Workshop

12. Ceros_X

Ceros_X King of Cable Management

#212 Ceros_X, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Edited: Emailed Ray and he confirmed he launched the campaign. Wish him the best of luck!

13. Kmpkt

Kmpkt Innovation through Miniaturization
    KMPKT

Timing also isn't the best with the Zaber Sentry only being released 10 days ago. The cases are similar enough they kinda fill the same niche.

14. iFreilicht

iFreilicht FlexATX Authority

Somewhat weird that they wouldn't try to build up a little bit of hype beforehand, either. They've been silent on [H] as well.

15. esplin2966

Thank you for the news post! You guys definitely beat me to the punch line. We have limited manpower when it comes to marketing, so we've dedicated the launch yesterday to reddit and email subscribers, and then hit the forums today. The news definitely spread fast though. Let me give you guys the follow-up to my last update:

We have found a manufacturer and gotten a prototype from them. First and foremost, I should say that their workmanship is MUCH better than our previous one. Dimensional accuracy is much better, and the glass bead-blasted finish is much finer. The price isn't that much worse too. Secondly, I should say that so far they seem responsible and responsive, giving us a list of things they need to improve on for production before we even have the chance to ask. To make sure that there aren't any more delays like with our previous manufacturer, I have recruited a good friend of mine (who lives 15 minutes away from the factory) to be our contact in China.

We have been constantly working on our crowdfunding campaign for the past few months, so we were basically ready to launch as soon as things are looking good on the manufacturing end. I will be posting photos of the new prototype on Monday.

Phuncz and WadeAK78 like this.
  16. CC Ricers

CC Ricers SFF Guru
    Silver Supporter

Actually I think they can reach different audiences. Both would still be looking for a slim case, but !nverse would be better for people that still use 3.5" hard drives and an optical drive, and be more accessible for watercooling. People that want watercooling in a compact rig would probably not want the Sentry.

Soul_Est likes this.
  17. esplin2966

#217 esplin2966, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    I agree, though I have gotten a few comments saying that the timing could be better. Our timing has the added complexity of needing to deal with chinese new years and the manufacturing rush afterwards, which is one of the reasons why we ended up choosing this time frame.

Edit:
    On a different topic, I've decided to post some of the shitty pictures of the new prototype.
    [​IMG]
    It's difficult to see the difference in surface finishing, but you can tell from the seams that the dimensional accuracy has improved greatly.
    [​IMG]

Soul_Est, Phuncz, 3lfk1ng and 2 others like this.
  18. danger

danger Average Stuffer

#218 danger, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    The 2.5"/3.5" drive options and water cooling support make this case very interesting for a 10L chassis. I hope you reach your funding goal!

Is there any way to install a fan over any of the 3.5" drive areas?

19. esplin2966

Thanks! You can install 120mm fans where you would normally install the AIO cooler radiators, which is overlapped with the area for some hard drives. There is also space for 120mm fans over the GPU area, which is also a hard drive area if you're not using GPU.

20. esplin2966

Hey everyone, just want to quickly update with a render of the case stand. Please let me know what you think!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]