Discussion NR200P MAX

debo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
I just saw some videos of the new version of the case in subject which seems to be coming in a very interesting package and for a reasonable price. How come no one is talking about it yet?

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
It will only be out in the middle of September, mainly. And, it would seem that the target market for the MAX right now is new builders, people wanting to get into the ITX/SFF scene with minimal fuss, kinda like what the NZXT H1 did.

In my opinion, a couple of factors that really doesn't bring too much excitment for the new case (at least for myself).
  • Most people who already have a NR200 were looking forward for a top "hat"/version to mount top radiators.
  • Instead, the MAX has different rear layout, meaning tooling differences, not an easy plug and play for existing NR200s (I might be wrong)
  • Only comes in a bundled kit (850W Gold SFX PSU, Gen 4 Riser, 280mm AIO) - not good for existing enthusiasts that only want an empty case, although CM might eventually release the MAX by itself. Gen 4 Riser is a good thing though.
  • Size is still around 18.5L, towards the larger size.
  • Vertical mount of the GPU looks to be too low for my tastes, empty space between the top rad and the GPU seems underutilitsed.
  • Only slim fans can be mounted at the bottom (officially), meaning without modding, custom loops with a bottom rad will be tougher.
  • No traditional layout for GPUs for plugging directly into the PCIe slot.
  • Removal of side bracket
Don't get me wrong though, I have a NR200 and I love it still, although personally, I was looking for a NR200 variant that can fit a NH-D15(S) without mods/shorter standoffs.

Reactions: debo and Phuncz

debo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
It will only be out in the middle of September, mainly. And, it would seem that the target market for the MAX right now is new builders, people wanting to get into the ITX/SFF scene with minimal fuss, kinda like what the NZXT H1 did.

In my opinion, a couple of factors that really doesn't bring too much excitment for the new case (at least for myself).
  • Most people who already have a NR200 were looking forward for a top "hat"/version to mount top radiators.
  • Instead, the MAX has different rear layout, meaning tooling differences, not an easy plug and play for existing NR200s (I might be wrong)
  • Only comes in a bundled kit (850W Gold SFX PSU, Gen 4 Riser, 280mm AIO) - not good for existing enthusiasts that only want an empty case, although CM might eventually release the MAX by itself. Gen 4 Riser is a good thing though.
  • Size is still around 18.5L, towards the larger size.
  • Vertical mount of the GPU looks to be too low for my tastes, empty space between the top rad and the GPU seems underutilitsed.
  • Only slim fans can be mounted at the bottom (officially), meaning without modding, custom loops with a bottom rad will be tougher.
  • No traditional layout for GPUs for plugging directly into the PCIe slot.
  • Removal of side bracket
Don't get me wrong though, I have a NR200 and I love it still, although personally, I was looking for a NR200 variant that can fit a NH-D15(S) without mods/shorter standoffs.
Thanks for the reply, I see where you are coming from and I can also see the drawbacks you are highlighting especially from an NR200P v1.0 owner point of view. After the videos I saw, as a new comer (yes I still didn't manage to build anything due to a sticky financial situation, differently from what I promised time ago) it's actually quite appealing especially because of the top mount radiator, must have accordingly to Gamer Nexus & Co, but I can see the limitation that comes from being able to only mount the GPU vertically and in general why enthusiasts might find the new solution more limiting instead.

Reactions: Phuncz