Not liking the Gigabyte 2060...

RockFlesh

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Hey everyone! I'm new to SFF PCs, and I'm kinda sorta done building my first one. I built a Skyreach 4 Mini. I followed Josh's guide for the length of the power button, but it ended up being too short, so I'm waiting for a new longer switch to show up. Also, with the Gigabyte RTX 2060 mini, you're not able to fit the HDPlex 400w power brick in the case. Not only that, but once the GPU was actually put into the case, it started having issues with it's fan. Watching a YouTube video or browsing the internet ocassionally makes the fan rev up. It speeds up and slows down really fast, making a super annoying noise. Also, when I start playing a game, such as Modern Warfare Warzone, the GPU automatically turns the fan speed right up to 100% and it sounds god awful. Essentially, the Gigabyte GPU sucks. So right now I'm trying to figure out what GPU I should have in place of the one I'm returning. It would be a plus if I could actually fit the HDPlex power brick in the case with a GPU, but at this point I'm okay with having an external brick as long as I can have a 2060 in my case.

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations and/or links to GPUs that are currently for sale. It's hard to find any Inno3d GPUs for a normal price right now, or to even find one at all. I know that Inno3d has the best dimensions to fit in the S4M but I don't think that's an option. I just want some GPU that doesn't sound like a car engine.

Thanks in advance for your response.

p.s. here's a picture of the internals
https://photos.app.******/YSxSt9VWgvdDyHiE9

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Out of the box, many GPUs may have fan curve that's not to your personal taste.

However, you can fine tune it using software like MSI Afterburner.

RockFlesh

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
I've tried adjusting the fan curve and the card is still super loud when playing games. It's so noticeable that I can hear it with my headphones on at a normal volume level. What fan curve do you recommend? If I have it at a lower fan speed, it might be quiet, but it might get closer to overheating

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
There's no one solution fits all for the fan curve. You have to try yourself. Do play with the hysteresis as well. Also, have you tried to to undervolt? (You can even still slightly overclock while being undervolt-ed).

If, you eventually decide to change the GPU - if I recall correctly, S4 was designed to fit Zotac 1080 mini (the fastest GPU with a reasonably mini size at that time). So if that EVGA is smaller or at least the same dimension, it should fit. However, please check the S4 thread to get better answer. Or better, probably they have a list of compatible GPUs as well.

Good luck.

Reactions: RockFlesh

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
I got asus 2070 mini oc, its 194mm, but longer then 2060 itx cards (175mm), but looks like it can fit. Im very pleasant with upgrade. Two fans instead of one, pretty silent, and not mocr until 55c. Stays under 70c in modern warfare.

Reactions: RockFlesh

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I got asus 2070 mini oc, its 194mm, but longer then 2060 itx cards (175mm), but looks like it can fit. Im very pleasant with upgrade. Two fans instead of one, pretty silent, and not mocr until 55c. Stays under 70c in modern warfare.

Can show me the URL of this 2070 mini OC?

Also, under 70C in Modern Warfare - can please share more info, like:
- Ambient temperature
- What case
- Fan RPM

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I think he probably means this one
Its the same card featured in NUC9 reviews.

Thanks for the info.. Hmm then it's not 194mm, more like 197mm according to the spec at Asus' website.

Kinda deal breaker for my case :)

But yeah still interested to get info about the ambient temp, what case & what fan RPM. Many reviews are done using open bench table, which doesn't always comparable with in-case scenario.

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
Thanks for the info.. Hmm then it's not 194mm, more like 197mm according to the spec at Asus' website.

Kinda deal breaker for my case :)

But yeah still interested to get info about the ambient temp, what case & what fan RPM. Many reviews are done using open bench table, which doesn't always comparable with in-case scenario.
Sorry, was writing from memory. I needed a card shorted then approx 200mm, to clear one of ports on mobo.

I haven't done detailed pics of my build, but uploaded pictures here:

Case: Sliger Cerberus.
2x140mm fans on bottom, card is in bottom slot, next to fans.
Currently case sits on top of my other workstation (warm air).

When I was doing Auto OC card gets to 80C, but in real life use, it sits under 70C. Card fans are around 60%, case fans - no idea, but pretty silent. Card is currently overclocked and if I understand it right it runs over 2000mhz: GPU tweak says 2050mhz max. I'm not very familiar with nvidia overclocking, that's my 1st gaming card in 10 years or so.
I can take screenshot of tweakgpu settings and monitoring tab later tonight if you want.