CPU No GPU, use a Dan A4 H20 or....

skippy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
Hi everyone, have become engrossed with the idea of building a SFF as a work desktop for myself after I realised the full size power people were getting in to sff. Have reads heaps here so far and learning a lot, thanks.

I am just doing the research for a build utilising a i7 12700, 32gb and B660 chipset, with no GPU as not required for work. I was wanting to go with an AIO for quietness and performance. I was thinking of using the Dan A4 H20 as I really like the design and understated function of it. Also like the high quality finish of some alloy cases. I wouldn't be utilising the GPU compartment and while I could stick a fan in there blowing at the back of the motherboard I can't escape the feeling I am not utilising the case to it's best or utilising the best solution to my problem. Does anyone know of a similar size (or smaller ) case which would suit better, should I modify a aliexpress one or just stick with the Dan one? Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
my 2 cents is Dan would be really OP for you. If you are willing to enforce the 65w power from your chip you can use a inwin chopin or a desk mini and power your setup for less cost and a smaller desk footprint

skippy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
Thanks Makoto, to be honest I hadn't thought of it the other way, by limiting chip power. Thank you, gives me some other options

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
When you go down the DeskMini road, you could also look into other < 10 L cases, eg. the DeskMeet B660, the Ophion 7L or the Densium 4 / 4 Plus.

There is a great video about the Raijintek Ophion 7L by F7GOS, that indeed makes one drool to get that case:

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
Thanks Makoto, to be honest I hadn't thought of it the other way, by limiting chip power. Thank you, gives me some other options
yeah, the default BIOS settings for most motherboards let the chip boost forever at max power so you end up with a 12700 that is using 200w on a all core work load. but if you actually see the recommended intel specs for a 12700, the chip runs at 65w normally and boost to like 180w for less than 30 seconds. Cooling a 200w chip in a sub 10L case is going to be tough, cooling a chip that only 180w for 30 seconds and the rest of the time is at 65w is pretty easy even in a sub 10L case.

Reactions: skippy and rfarmer