Nice to be here

Hello all, excited to get digging into all the info here.

I'm gearing up to do my first sffpc build! I'm downgrading (or is it upgrading ?) from an Antec Twelve Hundred that I built 11 years ago. I believe the trend is to talk in volume so that behemoth comes in just shy of 64-65 liters so it'll be nice to get something more manageable. Performance upgrade will be nice too since my current build is running 32 bit... ?

Not looking to do anything super crazy like a i9 with a GTX Titan with custom hardline cooling loop because I don't have the skills or the budget to do so. I have few expensive hobbies including this one so it's tough to justify the price sometimes. I'm a pretty casual user, 70-90% of my usage is probably Chrome and coding. But I do play some games (mostly strategy games so I figure not too graphic intensive.) Looking to build something basic to sit on or hang from my desk and be future proof for a long while.

I've started my research into parts and cases on my own mostly through r/sffpc but will be digging in here as well. Will likely post a few opinion threads about what parts to go for vs what case and will appreciate anything anyone can contribute.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! For your use case there are plenty of solutions, as high end GPUs and CPUs are often a limitation. With more medium specced hardware, a lot of the SFF world will open up for you.

Reactions: WholemealDrop

SFFGREMLIN

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 22, 2020
Hello all, excited to get digging into all the info here.
Looking to build something basic to sit on or hang from my desk and be future proof for a long while.
Awhile back, I designed a hanger that is going through some design revisions. If interested, would you like to describe what you want, in terms of the case you are using, and the hanging mount you want?

Reactions: WholemealDrop

WholemealDrop

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 13, 2020
Awhile back, I designed a hanger that is going through some design revisions. If interested, would you like to describe what you want, in terms of the case you are using, and the hanging mount you want?
I am not set on a case yet. Hoping to find a console style case to go under my monitor (monitor is on an arm but have the case sit in the empty space under the monitor.)

Otherwise something like a a Dan A4 or similar and hang it under my desk. Probably just 2 simple squares (one at the front of the case and one at the rear) slightly larger than whatever case I end up with. Mount the squares to my desk and then slide the case in, maybe some rubber stand offs to protect the case and keep vibration down. Probably an inch or 2 drop from the desk so there is airflow on all sides of the desk. 3D printer is on the way so I can eventually print mounts and parts as needed.

This will probably be one of my winter projects to keep me busy in the cold months.