News New small (GaN) 300W power brick

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 16-14-50 Asus Made the World's First 300W GaN Charger for its Monster...png
    Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 16-14-50 Asus Made the World's First 300W GaN Charger for its Monster...png
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,450
Last edited by a moderator:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Damn that's small.
I'd be awful tempted to use that full all the power delivery for my PC if it could hit 300w

Hell, maybe with an undervolt the 200w could be used with a 2060S, and the 100W could be used to power the cpu.

MartinE

Chassis Packer
Dec 27, 2018
The problem with the 200W kickstarter plug-in psu is that it is a true dualrail PSU, i.e. only up to 100 W per USB-C connector. This means that is made for charging two 100W devices at the same time, not for powering DC-ATX 24-pin plugin boards.

It is made for Apple style devices, because that is the only way to reach the kickstarter funding goal or manufacturer minimum order quantity.
Just like screws, bolts or nuts on ebay or amazon where they only sell the stainless version, because it is cool.

I backed the 100W version, because I only have two devices so I can charge one device at a time.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
That makes sense, but makes me sad a little bit. :(

chx

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 18, 2016
More, it's actually two chargers in a single plastic case with a single AC input but otherwise it's two fully independent USB C chargers.

Also, backing any Kickstarter -- even a Navitas GaNFast charger -- during covid is, pardon my French, monumentally stupid. Wait unti it hits the market, if it does.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
More, it's actually two chargers in a single plastic case with a single AC input but otherwise it's two fully independent USB C chargers.

Also, backing any Kickstarter -- even a Navitas GaNFast charger -- during covid is, pardon my French, monumentally stupid. Wait unti it hits the market, if it does.
Isn't the 200W unit just two of the 100W version in the same casing? It is quite literally twice the size, after all. Though one has to wonder if it would be possible to use both in parallel attached to a DC-ATX board. Load balancing would of course be an issue, but it could work.

MartinE

Chassis Packer
Dec 27, 2018
Isn't the 200W unit just two of the 100W version in the same casing? It is quite literally twice the size, after all. Though one has to wonder if it would be possible to use both in parallel attached to a DC-ATX board. Load balancing would of course be an issue, but it could work.

Yes if you look at the 3D drawing it looks like two 100W units in the same case.

A competitor has a stackable 100W and you can stack 16 chargers for 1600W total power, but you are still limited to 100W per USB-C. For PC use a Corsair AX1600i is better. Would you prefer a big ox or lots of little rabbits for pulling a cart ?

Stackable 100W charger on Kickstarter

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

Where did they mention that it's GaN?

Also to me it looks similar sized if not bigger than the DELL HA180PM181 or ASUS FA180PM111 180W adapters.

Reactions: kotproger

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Where did they mention that it's GaN?

Also to me it looks similar sized if not bigger than the DELL HA180PM181 or ASUS FA180PM111 180W adapters.
You are completely right! I was searching for gan power supplies and this came across. I didn´t pay enough attention. I´m also checking size and it´s not that small.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Ditlan

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2017
Just been looking at this, and volume wise none of these new GaN chargers are significantly more dense than a 500w flex PSU. Perhaps more efficient? Less Heat?

The Silverstone 500w flex is 1010W/L
The SlimQ linked is 904W/L
The 'ThunderGo' (afaik, the smallest 200w 'GaN charger') is 1119W/L

Don't get me wrong, if/when GaN tech comes to Flex sized PSUs the extra 100w/less heat/higher efficiency will be great, but I don't think we are going to gain a huge amount in terms of size reduction over the best existing PSUs.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
I think some of the excitement is that these things don't use fans and can also be used for multiple things.
example: that ThunderGo thing could be used to run an APU build + charge your phone or somehting
Personally I plan to stick to weird medical PSUs but GaN is very exciting!
I'd love to see and GaN equivalent of my wlp350

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just been looking at this, and volume wise none of these new GaN chargers are significantly more dense than a 500w flex PSU. Perhaps more efficient? Less Heat?

The Silverstone 500w flex is 1010W/L
The SlimQ linked is 904W/L
The 'ThunderGo' (afaik, the smallest 200w 'GaN charger') is 1119W/L

Don't get me wrong, if/when GaN tech comes to Flex sized PSUs the extra 100w/less heat/higher efficiency will be great, but I don't think we are going to gain a huge amount in terms of size reduction over the best existing PSUs.
There are a few reasons for this, but one major one: the smaller the device, the larger a proportion of it will be casing and heatsink, as those can't be shrunk beyond certain points without compromising functionality, structural integrity, safety, etc. Of course these GaN chargers also have a lot of internal volume used for connectors compared to their overall size.

A few further points:
- A steel-enclosed PSU has much thinner walls than a plastic-enclosed charger, as steel is much stronger than plastic. The total volume of the case material is of course still larger, but proportional to the overall charger/PSU volume it's much less.
- An enclosed, passively cooled PSU needs to pretty much wrap itself in heatsinks as they have no direct airflow over the heatsinks, necessitating overprovisioning. Even a small fan massively changes the required heatsink size.
- The 500W Silverstone FlexATX uses soldered cables, minimizing internal volume used to get power out of the PSU
- Portable chargers have a higher requirement for idiot-proofing than a PSU made for internal use, meaning the safety requirements for the former are much stricter.

I still don't think we'll see massive changes in volume, but there's a decent chance of okay reductions. Remember, that 200W GaN charger is something like half the volume of the smallest non-GaN charger, so the volume reductions are real - you just have to compare to things that are comparable, and don't have a bunch of complicating factors throwing off the comparison. Any like-for-like comparison of different product categories like this will be misleading.

Reactions: Ditlan

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Just came across what appears to be adapter tech 300w 12V GAN for $95: https://in4care.en.alibaba.com/prod...T_300_Watt_I_T_E_Medical_Series_ATM300TS.html

I might be interested, if I can figure out how to wire the input to power a full size gpu (around 150W) and a dc atx plugin.

Adaptertech make quite a few small GaN bricks. But they focus on OEM/ODM with high MOQs so it's hard to get one as a "normal consumer".

If 19/20V is an option for you, there is a pretty affordable small 230/240W GaN brick made by SAVAGO. Could be combined with a wide-volatage DC-ATX / stepdown converter...

here is a review / teardown: