News New small (GaN) 300W power brick

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 16-14-50 Asus Made the World's First 300W GaN Charger for its Monster...png
    Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 16-14-50 Asus Made the World's First 300W GaN Charger for its Monster...png
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,450
Last edited by a moderator:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Looks good, I'd like to know the dimensions on it. It might have a place in my a300M(ax) project if it's less than 110mm x 32mm x ~110mm

chx

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 18, 2016
You could at least use the picoPSU-160-XT and a 48V to 12V step down converter.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
48v?

I'm sure stepdowns could solve that :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
1. How do we get a hold of it?
2. Can it work with a HDPlex 200W DC-DC?
3. Will there be an adapter?

For those interested I have both 12V (Pico 160XT compatible) and 19V (HDPlex 200W compatible) GaN 200W power supplies en-route from Taiwan as we speak. If they aren't potato I'll probably try to place an order.

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Asus page said 48V output, not gonna work.
But the developers showed this:

pavel

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2018
But negate any size/weight/efficiency advantage while doing so, for an extra cost.
Extra cost, yes, but doing 22AC-48DC-12DC-1DC with good 220AC-48DC stage may still be better than 220AC-12DC with silicon. If 48DC is regulated, you may well try a fixed ratio topology for 48-12

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
I'd be stoked for some GaN Meanwell style PSUs, more power in the same formfactor. Maybe even better ripple.
5x3x1 c'mon!

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Looking around at why there are more 48VDC GaN AC-DC PSUs it appears the huge server market is going that way for server rack distribution and then a local 48V to 12V DC-DC, so ITX will have to wait but they are slowly showing up(may figure into the recent Intel release of the ATX12VO spec). Right now it's mostly 65W or less which serves a larger laptop chargers market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
As it so happens was waiting on one of these type-C to 7.4mm cable with induction chip to get 20v out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Type-C...mm-for-HP-Laptop-Charger-Adapter/183971276315

and one of these Xiaomi Baseus GaN 65W adapters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Bas...t-Charger-Type-C-USB-QC3-0-PD2-0/303389751014

Presently powering my HP 600 G4 mini off the combo as I type this. The Baseus is probably 1/3 the size of the HP 65W adapter it came with and one less cable ? I can use this adapter on the road for pretty much all the gear; tablet, phone, and if I bring it the PC and probably all 3 at once.

Edit: Cool to the touch running the PC after an hour, normal desktop stuff.
Edit2: Size comparison pic

Last edited:

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
That's awesome. After hearing about the higher wattage GaN adapters I started wondering about just that. Now I'm debating if I want to do that for my a300 short term, then adapt it to my crappy laptop once I don't need it.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Some months ago while seraching for the samllest 12v brick possible I found this: A small device by delta that is supposed to be mounted on a pcb with all the filtering you want/need and it´s 111x51x14mm, so ultra slim. I found out that is GAN based or at least partially, and it´s not that new, and it´s 500w

TDK-LAMBDA has a 720w one but it´s veeery expensive, but it can turn on and off by itself, so one thig less to put on the pcb you have to build for it.

All these are using thransphorm gan fet

And also the 1600w PSU from corsair is gan fet powered.

The other interesting thing I found was this on the texas instrument webpage. It´s a reference design to use their gan fet technology on a 12v 1000w psu. It´s just a reference design, but I find it really interesting.

Normally these thing have 95%+ efficiency when they are working between 20 and 90% of their total workload. it´s incredible the flatness of the efficiency curves, I find this quite incredible. The cooling requirements for this units have to be very low, and also they work at such high frecuencies that ripple noise is supposed to be very low, so more space savings there.

I imagined a 12v brick made with these gan fet PSUs attached to a pico psu on the 24 pin and then, the rest of cabling for the cpu and gpu sockets but with a small pcb attached to them (like the pico psu, but smaller) with the filtering caps there, not in the psu itself, so you divide the volume ocupied in several places. Granted it will led to more problems, because connectors would be bigger, but the main brick, could be very small, with just the Emi filtering at the entrance of 220v and the hold up time caps after the ac-dc first phase at 650v. All the rest of the filtering could be somewhere else.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
and one of these Xiaomi Baseus GaN 65W adapters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Bas...t-Charger-Type-C-USB-QC3-0-PD2-0/303389751014

Presently powering my HP 600 G4 mini off the combo as I type this. The Baseus is probably 1/3 the size of the HP 65W adapter it came with and one less cable ? I can use this adapter on the road for pretty much all the gear; tablet, phone, and if I bring it the PC and probably all 3 at once.

Edit: Cool to the touch running the PC after an hour, normal desktop stuff.
Edit2: Size comparison pic

I've posted a couple of times about that very charger over in the new toys thread - good to see there are more people here discovering it! I'm laughing at that ebay listing though, tacking on the completely unrelated Xiaomi brand for ...SEO? Nonetheless a very good GaN charger :)