News New Ryzen Zen3 and big navi

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm very disappointed that the CPUs are going to be announced well before the GPUs. But that might be 4D chess or exclusivity deals with the console makers.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
It makes me scratch my head....they just released their XT processors that are arguably a bad value proposition to say the least...and they're going release the CPUs before the GPUs; when NVidia is poised to snipe the GPU market first.

Reactions: manoueltiger

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 10, 2020
It makes me scratch my head....they just released their XT processors that are arguably a bad value proposition to say the least...and they're going release the CPUs before the GPUs; when NVidia is poised to snipe the GPU market first.

indeed.
But my problem is ... should I wait to take a 3900x after the release of the zen 3 or take a ryzen 4000...

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
If the 3300X is a preview of the IPC improvements and clock speed improvements, I think the 4000 series should not disappoint.

If AMD can beat out the higher end Intel chips for single core performance, I'll make the switch from team Blue to team Red :)

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
unless reviews show that Nvidia's numbers aren't as high as they presented them to be

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
unless reviews show that Nvidia's numbers aren't as high as they presented them to be

Oh, without a doubt Nvidia cherry-picked numbers. That is what companies do. Question is if AMD can hold the ground or do better

Ze numbers are already leaking out:

Won't have long to wait. I think Guru3D said embargo expires the 14th?

Reactions: Phuncz and robojim

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Oh, without a doubt Nvidia cherry-picked numbers. That is what companies do. Question is if AMD can hold the ground or do better

Ze numbers are already leaking out:

Won't have long to wait. I think Guru3D said embargo expires the 14th?
It is hard to cherry-picked numbers at this stage. If it is well before actual retail release, then companies can cherry-pick a game or two to give benchmark numbers, making them look better. But, now, Nvidia has sent actual cards to various reviewers. Granted that Nvidia might send cherry-picked cards to reviewers so that they could reach a higher overclock. But, such action is really not significant because benchmark numbers obtained by reviewers have been more or less the same as those obtained later by the general public buyers of cards from retail stores.

I think AMD is rushing out their cards which are not really 100% ready yet. The performance of Big Navi must be very close to Nvidia 3080/3070 that AMD is afraid of loosing market share as sideliners might rush to buy a 3070/3080 without waiting any longer. That is why AMD is announcing such a news, essentially asking sideliners to wait for them.

If AMD releases a Big Navi card at 300W ish, it will be interesting to see what thermal solution they will adapt.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think AMD is rushing out their cards which are not really 100% ready yet. The performance of Big Navi must be very close to Nvidia 3080/3070 that AMD is afraid of loosing market share as sideliners might rush to buy a 3070/3080 without waiting any longer. That is why AMD is announcing such a news, essentially asking sideliners to wait for them.
Very difficult to do in a short time, at this point the GPUs (the silicon, not the cards) themselves should already be manufactured if they want to start shipping products before the end of the year. It's too late to change designs. The things they can do is:
- change price
- change power/clock specifications (limited in range if availability will be after November)

It also seems that AMD doesn't want to nip away at Nvidia's sales by being just slightly cheaper just a little later, it seems they'll just release the product when it's ready. Their release schedules are on two different tracks for a while now and recently Frank Azor from AMD made that statement.

Either way, how fast Nvidia's cards will be or how slow AMD's cards will be, wait for the reviews. As long as marketing can use every trick in the book outside of lying, they will keep fueling the nuclear reactors on the hype train.

Reactions: riba2233

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
Just got to wait for reviewers to go through the process (they're actually done, just waiting for embargo to be lifted). There's also a few rumours floating around, such as FE cards are cherry picked silicon and possible best versions are sent out to reviewers - who knows if this is true, but at the same time would it be surprising?

As for manufacturing, CPU and GPUs would already be manufactured/being manufactured, the release timing is probably a marketing ploy to Nvidia along with a console release.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Just got to wait for reviewers to go through the process (they're actually done, just waiting for embargo to be lifted). There's also a few rumours floating around, such as FE cards are cherry picked silicon and possible best versions are sent out to reviewers - who knows if this is true, but at the same time would it be surprising?

As for manufacturing, CPU and GPUs would already be manufactured/being manufactured, the release timing is probably a marketing ploy to Nvidia along with a console release.

Most of them probably them are....latest word is that the embargo is extended to Wednesday. Some reviewer samples are still in the mail, so to be 'fair' to 'everyone' Nvidia extended the embargo to Wednesday.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
If the 3300X is a taste of things to come then we are doomed. It's easier to buy powdered real unicorn horn than that thing. I gave up and bought a 3700X :D

PotatoPowerPlug

Cable Smoosher
Jul 31, 2020
It is hard to cherry-picked numbers at this stage. If it is well before actual retail release, then companies can cherry-pick a game or two to give benchmark numbers, making them look better. But, now, Nvidia has sent actual cards to various reviewers. Granted that Nvidia might send cherry-picked cards to reviewers so that they could reach a higher overclock. But, such action is really not significant because benchmark numbers obtained by reviewers have been more or less the same as those obtained later by the general public buyers of cards from retail stores.

If AMD releases a Big Navi card at 300W ish, it will be interesting to see what thermal solution they will adapt.
There is sth wrong with the spec that Nvidia gave, most of the card have double the core count compare to the count but not double the performance. The 3070 have way more core than the 2080ti but the performance only matchrd the 2080ti? Granted its slower core but still, not to mention less Vram so in some case the 2080ti might have the upper hand. I still think that the cards gonna perform well, but there are a lot of weird numbers in the Nvidia PR materials.

As for AMD so far I think there will be 4 cards (According to the leaks and some of my educational guess, so take it as a grain of salt). A rx 6700 that will be slightly slower than the 3070 with 8gb of vram that is cheaper, a rx 6700xt that going to be slightly faster than the 3070 with 16gb of Vram, a rx 6800 xt that is about the same as the 3080 with 16gb vram, and a rx 6900 xt that will be between the 3080 and 3090 (closer to the 3090) with 16gb of HBM2 (we might get another Radeon 7 situation, but more successful). Bois this few month will be lit.

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
Not sure where you're getting the core count for 3070? I see it listed with 5888 vs the 2080ti 4352 which is 35%. Also, the 3070 is a 256bit bus vs 352bit bus, so that'll have an impact on the performance.

Also the small tweak/changes will change it too. Nvidia also been leaning heavily on ray tracing numbers and not rasterisation (probably too not make the 2080ti look absolutely terrible).

Just got to wait for that embargo...

Reactions: rfarmer

PotatoPowerPlug

Cable Smoosher
Jul 31, 2020
Not sure where you're getting the core count for 3070? I see it listed with 5888 vs the 2080ti 4352 which is 35%. Also, the 3070 is a 256bit bus vs 352bit bus, so that'll have an impact on the performance.

Also the small tweak/changes will change it too. Nvidia also been leaning heavily on ray tracing numbers and not rasterisation (probably too not make the 2080ti look absolutely terrible).

Just got to wait for that embargo...
Yeah, 35% more core but about the same performance seem off to me and like I said I know that those core clock slower and have lower memory bus, plus so far all benchmark are on traditional rasterisation, not ray tracing. I am not saying that they are bad card, they do provide good value compare to 2000s series, but all the marketing materials that Nvidia shown are a bit misleading.