• No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

LamBDa_Cases

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Hey Guys,
I'm working on designing a new mini ITX computer case. I wanted some feedback from the community. I made a video on Solidworks showing what this design can fit inside. I'd really appreciate your feedback. Additionally, as of now I am working on cost estimation and will probably have to order a few to make this feasible, if anyone is interested in purchasing or any ideas to make this a viable product, let me know. Thank you!
Guts:
Outside:

Reactions: 1461748123

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Looks cool man! I like the outside, reminds me a lot of something like a Streacom. Will the outer panels act as heatsinks? I'd love to see more pics

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
It's definitely unique and different but I personally see a lot of room for improvement. I'm not privy to the dimensions of your case and I don't have Sketchup on this machine but hopefully this will be of some assistance:

1. Scrap support for the optical drive. Very few consumers, especially in the SFF market, have any use for one.
2. Kick the ATX sized PSU to the curb. With up to 800watts available in the SFX PSU market, there is no reason not to support SFX.
3. The case doesn't need to sit so high up off the desk, 90 degree connectors can be used to make the case sit lower.
In this instance, I would also complete the shroud all the way down to the desk leaving just the backside open for the cables to run out the back.
4. I am a massive fan of liquid cooling myself but... if you get rid of the ATX sized-PSU in favor of an SFX unit, get rid of the ODD, you can then use a 3M PCIe ribbon to mount the GPU (269mm long) behind the motherboard, that would free up additional space to put a 240mm AIO cooler where the GPU currently sits.
- The cooling will be better than using a single 140mm radiator at the top
- It would provide better airflow
- The case could be made even smaller.

Respecting your idea to keep all the I/O at the bottom of the case, here is a 5-minute paint sketch to help illustrate my thoughts.

Now that I think about it, you could even rotate the mobo 90 degrees counter-clockwise (or the SFX PSU) and skip having to use a ribbon cable. Either way, the 240mm radiator w/ 2 120mm fans will help to keep the heat down quite a bit.

I look forward to see the direction you take. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Welcome to the forum, and I am glad to have you!

My advice for whatever it's worth:

1. If you are passionate about this don't be afraid to obsess on your design and rebuild rebuild rebuild. You know your design better than any of us. Don't ever be satisfied, but literally run yourself out of ideas. When you open up your model and spend two days solid trying to improve a small feature then realize the design you had before you started was perfect, then it is ready.

2. Find your niche. I can offer you a hint that there is a small group of people that want SFF but NEED optical support. These people consider the lack of an optical drive in the MINI a dealbreaker.

3. Maximum compatibility is a marvelous thing, but don't let it impact your vision or goals. Don't be afraid to do one thing really well. For example, If supporting an ATX PSU is a byproduct of extra space from the primary feature of having a 140mm venting fan on the top, then great. If you are making other sacrifices to keep one in there...well...think about that.

Peace and good luck!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I can offer you a hint that there is a small group of people that want SFF but NEED optical support.

That group is shrinking though, when what became Cerberus first started I get requests regularly for ODD support, but I haven't had anyone ask about it in months.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
I can offer you a hint that there is a small group of people that want SFF but NEED optical support.

I patterned the Chameleon off of my wife's needs:
  1. Don't clash with the decor
  2. Run Facebook, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and the occasional Redbox. (In THAT order)
  3. Work when I turn it on
  4. And Don't clash with the decor
Every builder may not need optical support but quite a few users still do.

FCase