New NCase M1 build 3900X recommendations

raidenfreeman

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Oct 18, 2019
Hello folks, my M1 v6 is in customs, and should be arriving this week.

I'm thinking of a 3900x build, as I need the cores (I have a lot of programs running in parallel like VMs/docker containers), but most of the heavy workloads will be gaming (1440p 60fps target - no competitive/low latency stuff). I'm open to recommendations of another CPU.

My priorities are: noise > thermals. (Size is fixed since I went with the M1). I will not overclock it ever probably, and will undervolt if it helps.

I was thinking of going with an AIO, even though I fear for its longevity (many more parts can fail compared to heatsinks), and I have no experience with pump noise in the past. The computer will be at aprox. 1m away from me. I'd rather go with a noctua cooler, but Kraken X52 seems to beat those that fit in the M1.

As for the GPU, I will get something when Ampere launches, up until then I will use an old 1080 windforce (it fits according to the specs of both the M1 and the card)

I need a recommendation of a cooler, a PSU (Corsair SF600 80+Gold seems good enough), if the RAM should be LP or not (don't care about large heatsinks and RGB), and maybe a mobo (but I also can pick it myself).

I'm in Denmark, but probably I'll buy the parts from amazon.co.uk.

Thanks in advance for your help!

brokowski

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 22, 2020
I think Noctua NH-C14S sould be a solid choice since m1 provides perfect clearance for it.

Someone did some tests on it in that case:

Reactions: raidenfreeman

brokowski

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 22, 2020
can't edit so I'll add this here
forgot to add that you'll probably need LP Ram with c14s

if you thinking of AIO then this guy seems to know his stuff:

Reactions: raidenfreeman

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ok.... Couple of suggestions.

PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum is the quietest of the SFX PSUs.

GPU: Axiel fan GPUs dump a lot of heat into the case. You'll need a strong exhust setup. 92mm exhaust fan if you have the space is highly recommended. Also, two intake 120mm fans will reduce the GPU temps a lot.

AIO: I ran an X52 in my NCASE M1 with a 2080 Founders. I actually burned my hand due to the GPU temps when I had the AIO fans as intake. Exhaust instead remedied this, but limited CPU overclocking. Since there isn't a ton of head room on the 3900X you should be ok. Get a pair of Noctua A12 fans.

Air options: I have tried the U9S, Cryorig C7, Noctua L12/L12s, and Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 all attached to an 8086K which is one HOT CPU. All can run it at stock, but the Silver Arrow 130 has the best cooling with room for a 3.5 inch hard drive. You'll need to manually control the fan speed though...and handle it carefully because it's razor sharp.

I haven't used the C14S, but a lot of good things have been said.