New monitor or VR?

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
So with the rift now at such a great price I'm thinking...
Once my bank balance recovers from my PC build... do I upgrade my old F&H 24" TV monitor thing to a newer better 27" 1440p IPS panel.
OR
Do I buy a Rift Touch

Thoughts?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It depends, do you have any games that the Oculus Rift supports ? A good monitor is more important if there are not many games you intend on playing in VR.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Not that I know of, most VR games I've seen are VR only anyway
I aready have "a monitor" I just cant decide if a new monitor or a VR setup is a better buy

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Feb 18, 2017
I just got one with that very idea in mind: A couple thoughts:

1) It ROCKS on it's own merits!
2) You can use an app like Virtual Desktop to do your everyday work (It puts your desktop in space, or a lab, or a few other places)
3) I am also traveling with a 26" thin "normal" monitor and with the Headset, trackers, and controllers, Id bet the Oculus takes up more volume than the monitor.
4) I am quite nearsighted and getting it over my glasses is a true headache. and you can absolutely tell I need them in VR :-/

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I'd say that VR is quite fun, but it isn't "there" yet. As an early adopter I'd reccomend waiting to see what an v2 would bring to the table.
Unless you have something specific in mind.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I just picked up a Rift myself - somewhat impulsively, but I'd been on the fence since the price drop, and just finally took the plunge.

I've kind of been in the same boat of wanting a monitor upgrade. Trouble is, the problems I have with my current monitor aren't really remedied by anything currently on the market. LCD just in general has all kinds of annoying quirks: blacklight bleed, IPS glow, poor black depth, poor contrast, off-axis contrast shift, black crush, smearing, panel lottery, etc etc. You just can't win with LCD. The ONLY thing on the horizon that looks remotely interesting are those FALD displays Acer and ASUS announced, but they just got delayed until late next year.

OLED looks good, but it's got its own problems with image retention, making it unsuitable for desktop PC use. Not to mention that they don't come smaller than 55". But for a movie/gaming screen, they make a lot more sense. However, I think (hope) next year is when we'll see HDMI 2.1 incorporated into these displays, which should enable stuff like high refresh rate at 4k with HDR, making for a much more future-proof purchase.

In the meantime, in lieu of any good display options, I'll just have to continue to make do with the 1440 27" screen I've been on for the past few years.

As for the Rift, I've only played a couple of games so far, and only put a few hours in, but I'll say this: it's an impressive experience, for sure. The sense of being in a virtual space is extremely convincing, and those first 15 minutes will have you grinning like a little kid. That said, I also think it's got a ways to go in terms of fidelity and ease of use. The screen door effect in the headset is pronounced, field of view is limited (to the point of feeling claustrophobic at times, IMO), and depending how your eyes work, objects might look blurry close up. The headset is also somewhat fussy to get on and off, and to get situated on your face and head well.

Apart from the technical shortcomings, the other major weakness is the current lack of diversity of content. It's dominated by "shooting gallery" and various other gimmicky games, which, while reasonably entertaining in short stints, do get old (for me at least). Conventional video game movement around the environment doesn't work well in VR, due to it causing motion sickness for a lot of people. Consequently, developers are limited in the kinds of games that will work well on the platform. As it stands, there aren't very many games I'm personally interested in playing. I'll try out the free stuff just to see if there's anything worthwhile, and because I know just the VR experience alone adds so much that it can elevate otherwise unremarkable games, but the large majority of what's available are games I wouldn't ever bother with otherwise.

Still, if you're looking for a totally new kind of experience, and you're willing to accept the shortcomings of the current state of the tech (and the cost), it's certainly something to consider.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
50 bucks says that the price drop is not just to increase adoption, but also in anticipation of V2 releases either in time for Christmas or for CES 2018. If you think you can save enough for a V2 unit (1000-1500) between now and release, I might just pull the trigger on a better monitor.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
50 bucks says that the price drop is not just to increase adoption, but also in anticipation of V2 releases either in time for Christmas or for CES 2018. If you think you can save enough for a V2 unit (1000-1500) between now and release, I might just pull the trigger on a better monitor.
I believe they've stated we won't see an update to the Rift until 2019. Whether they hold to that or not is a different story. I'd tend to think they probably will though - they need that time not just for development and winding up for production on the next version, but also to recoup more of their investment in the current one.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I do know that they have a wireless 200 dollar version in the pipeline for the not too distant future.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I thought a bit about using VR kit as a monitor. I'm not sure if I can wear that thing on my head for like 3-4 hours continuously (say normal working hours 9-6, with lunch break in between).

And I do love listening music on my ATH-M40X :)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I thought a bit about using VR kit as a monitor. I'm not sure if I can wear that thing on my head for like 3-4 hours continuously (say normal working hours 9-6, with lunch break in between).
At the moment, VR doesn't hold up as a monitor replacement. While the resolution is just fine for games, since it doesn't take as many pixels as you'd think to render a reasonably convincing vista, it is far from enough to even be considered adequate for the other kinds of stuff you'd put on a monitor.
Text, especially is problematic, though my understanding is that the vive has a tougher time rendering text.
To add to that, software to emulate a group of screens isn't quite there yet. Most projects are more or less still beta products.

About the closest you can come and still get a decent experience are the VR cinemas for watching TV and movies.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Thanks for all the responses, great to see your views.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not actually going to replace my monitor with VR, I just have the opportunity perhaps to get either a new (gaming) monitor OR a VR headset.
If I get VR I will still have my current monitor