Need some piece of mind about a 5g router (possible paranoia..)

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
So today i came home and found inside my brother and a technician that was just finishing instaling fiber optics and a 5g router for free as he said the old ones we used were old.Same company we have contract with.He took my 3g wifi router and left with me having no time to understand what has just hapened..

So now ive found that i have 5g in my home.A few months ago i watched carefully the controvery about 5g on youtube and im terrified that this is in my home.Approched the router with a rf meter from my phone(i know its not the best choice) but the thing showed between 1700-2300 uw m2 at half a meter distance.And about 500-700 uw m2 at a 2 meter distance.

Ive disabled the wifi and im stuck with using a ethernet cable now so you can imagine the war about wifi on the phones at home and me standing as a wall in front of it.

What to do?
I have never measured my 3g router but i suspect it is way las than the 5g one.The 5g one has a option for 2.4ghz and 5ghz but the readings are the same.

Break the contract and search for a new one that has at leas 4g router?
Turn wifi on and pray?
Stay with a ethernet cable no mather the situation?

I cant move the router to another room as the house is tiny and the cable not long enough

I need people with knowledge on the topic as I am not sure if im making a fool of my self right now.The way i see 5g is like smoking 1 cigarette per day for 20 years and than one day discover something is not right with me.

Last edited:

1s44c

Caliper Novice
Mar 30, 2019
The thing is that radio waves, and even millimeter 5G bands are "very low power" in the grand scheme of electromagnetic radiation. Really, the only dangerous radiation is ionizing radiation, or high frequency radiation. This is ultraviolet and up. So standing in the sun is much more dangerous for you as compared to talking on your cellphone. The worst that your new router could do is slightly warm you. Basically it could use the same principle as your microwave to heat you up. However, you would need a much higher dose for that to even happen. The whole thing about how these frequencies cause cancer and the like is just a hoax. Here is why EMF is not dangerous

Reactions: O_and_N

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
The thing is that radio waves, and even millimeter 5G bands are "very low power" in the grand scheme of electromagnetic radiation. Really, the only dangerous radiation is ionizing radiation, or high frequency radiation. This is ultraviolet and up. So standing in the sun is much more dangerous for you as compared to talking on your cellphone. The worst that your new router could do is slightly warm you. Basically it could use the same principle as your microwave to heat you up. However, you would need a much higher dose for that to even happen. The whole thing about how these frequencies cause cancer and the like is just a hoax. Here is why EMF is not dangerous
Thank you. And I must admit that I made the mistake of thinking that 5g(mobile) was the same frequency as 5ghz wifi.. Also refered in many places as 5g which is not.

Cheers

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I think you are mixing things up.

Both your old and new routers are using wifi to communicate with your computers or phones, same technology.

The difference is that your old router was able to reach the internet through 3G, and the new one is now compatible with 5G to let you browse at the speed of light. *caugh*
I don't really see the point as you already have fiber optics. The cable connection could be cut ok, but well...

What I would do is turn off the 5G, if the router let you do it.
What is annoying with the 5G technology, is that it needs more antennas to get a decent connexion with devices that are inside buildings, as such higher frequencies are less prone to go through walls.
So with such antennas coverage, you are among the radiations you want it or not.
Turning off the 5G will at least not increase these radiations between your router and the directional antennas it will communicate with.

I would also turn on the wifi only when necessary because of this:
As mentionned in @1s44c's link:

In 2002, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a component of the World Health Organization, appointed an expert Working Group to review all available evidence on static and extremely low frequency electric and magnetic fields (12). The Working Group classified ELF-EMFs as “possibly carcinogenic to humans,” based on limited evidence from human studies in relation to childhood leukemia. Static electric and magnetic fields and extremely low frequency electric fields were determined “not classifiable as to their carcinogenicity to humans” (12).

They published a press release in 2011: https://www.iarc.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/pr208_E.pdf
The WHO/International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has
classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B), based on an increased risk for glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer1, associated with wireless phone use.

a Working Group of 31 scientists from 14 countries has been meeting at IARC in Lyon, France, to assess the potential carcinogenic hazards from exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields.

Dr Jonathan Samet (University of Southern California, USA), overall Chairman of the Working Group, indicated that "the evidence, while still accumulating, is strong enough to support a conclusion and the 2B classification. The conclusion means that there could be some risk, and therefore we need to keep a close watch for a link between cell phones and cancer risk."

Would the WHO classify something as potentially lethal if there was no suspicion at all?

@1s44c is right talking about the low intensity of such electro-magnetical radiations, which at best could heat yourself by a few degrees.
But the problem with such non-ionizing radiations, is that they have also non-thermal effects.

This is what Swisscom, the biggest telecommunications provider in Switzerland, states in 2004:
it has been possible to show that mobile radio radiation can cause damage to genetic material, in particular in human white blood cells, whereby both the DNA itself is damaged and the number of chromosomes changed. This mutation can consequently lead to increased cancer risk. In particular, it could also be shown that this destruction is not dependent upon temperature increases, i.e. is non-thermal.
This can be found in the description tab of their 'REDUCTION OF ELECTROSMOG IN WIRELESS LOCAL NETWORKS' patent
'Funny' thing is that the system based on this 15 yo patent is not available yet. Do they fear that selling it will make people realize the dangerosity of wireless technologies?

Furthermore, running all these technologies simultaneously, wifi, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, DECT, communicating counters, etc. are all adding up radiations to the electrosmog. So IMO each one you can avoid would be beneficial to your health.

Reactions: O_and_N