Concept Need info/validation for SG13's front PSU mod

jirachijirachi

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
I intend to shrink my huge FD Define Nano S to the little Silverstone SG13. I will fly with it so AIO is preferably avoided. Here's my current parts:

• ATX PSU 140mm (will upgrade to SF600 when the Platinum is released)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 (seen builds that fit it in - but need to forego the top HDD bracket)
  • Noctua NH-D9L (alternative: AMD Wraith Stealth cooler)
  • 1 SSD
  • 1 3.5" HDD
  • 1 Noctua NF-A15 (140mm x 150mm x 25mm)

Ideally, I wish to fit them all into the SG13 but I knew some parts will just not fit. I do not plan to make any irreversible mod to the case (yet) but I have access to a 3D printer. Here's my current plan:

• Mount HDD and SFX PSU in front. I have seen builds that mount an ATX PSU in front so I should be able to fit both HDD and SFX PSU in the same space. I will 3D print a housing for this HDD and SFX PSU, which will be secured to holes available at the bottom or front of the case. I may place some aluminium sheet to aid cooling of the HDD.
  • This frees up the top of the mobo, allowing installation of my D9L and perhaps an additional fan (NF-A15) from the top. The A15 will be secured to the top via magnet, with some housing to be 3D-printed for the fan to screw onto together with the magnet.
  • SSD will slot in anywhere.
  • Extend the PSU IEC cable: first by a 90 degree adapter, followed by an extension C13-C14 cable. This will go through the big slot vacated by the PSU. A shroud will be printed to cover this space up but allows the C14 inlet to protrude out.
  • Get meshes to dust-proof my case.
  • If all fail, I will use my ATX PSU and the Wraith Stealth cooler.

I have a few kinks to iron out before I commit to this project. I will need your input:

• Is it safe to extend the PSU IEC cable first with a 90 degree adapter followed by the cable itself? All cables I found is rated to 10A, is that safe enough?
  • SFX PSU: Should I intake from the front which isolates it from the rest of the system, or should I have the fan facing the mobo which provides an exhaust outlet of the mobo area? It will have plenty of fresh air from a fan on top.
  • Other exhaust: Provided that I have a fan intake from the top, will installing a small fan over the original PSU cut-out simply be taking the fresh air out? If so, where else can I install an exhaust (if not via PSU)? Or positive pressure will simply push hot air out?
  • Any possibility and usefulness to install a slim fan at the mesh part of the case? Perhaps as an exhaust (although the front-mounted PSU will have limited its usefulness)?
  • Anything else I might have missed out?

In any case, thanks for reading this far. I'll appreciate your input so I can finally join the SFF club, shrinking from a bulky 26.8L (Nano S) to 11.5L (SG13).

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
My advice:
Ditch the 3.5" HDD. That and the ATX PSU will eat up massive space in no time flat.
Use a M.2 SSD to save space and cables if you can. Use a 2.5" HDD/SSD to replace your 3.5" HDD if you must have a 2nd drive or 2x2.5" SSD/HDD if you don't want/can't get a M.2.
Ditch the mesh. Plan to just clean your components when you upgrade a major component (you will do this already with the PSU).

Please provide links to the IEC cable parts that you are referring to.
This thread will have much to interest you, I'm sure.

jirachijirachi

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
My advice:
Ditch the 3.5" HDD. That and the ATX PSU will eat up massive space in no time flat.
Use a M.2 SSD to save space and cables if you can. Use a 2.5" HDD/SSD to replace your 3.5" HDD if you must have a 2nd drive or 2x2.5" SSD/HDD if you don't want/can't get a M.2.
Ditch the mesh. Plan to just clean your components when you upgrade a major component (you will do this already with the PSU).

Please provide links to the IEC cable parts that you are referring to.
This thread will have much to interest you, I'm sure.

The HDD is the largest noise producer in my build and I would want to replace it if I could. However, I suppose the SFX PSU is of higher importance right now. In any case, which 2.5" HDD would generate the least noise?

I will get most probably get the IEC cable from Taobao so it's pretty generic looking TBH.

Thanks for the link. It's the link that inspires me to attempt this project.