need help with sm550 build

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020

Let me know what you think. Planning on running the alpenfon black ridge with a 120mm slim on intake and two bottom exhaust fans. Ram is vlp to fit. Not tied to any specific power supply or motherboard. Pretty set on a 2070 super though and the ryzen 3600 unless told otherwise. Goal is to game on 1440p 144hz max setting and move the computer upstairs and downstairs and transport locally from place to place.

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Also as a side note, wondering if switching the alpenfon black ridge v2 cooler up with an ID cooling IS v2 cooler would work with a noctua 15mm slim fan and give me similar results. Would allow me not to have to use vlp ram.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I used the ID Cooling IS-60 in my 550 cooling a 3600x and it worked very well, you just need to make sure and get flat head screws because the included round head screws cause the side panel to bulge.

sligerfront.jpg

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
I used the ID Cooling IS-60 in my 550 cooling a 3600x and it worked very well, you just need to make sure and get flat head screws because the included round head screws cause the side panel to bulge.

View attachment 538
Looks so clean. Do you mean flat head screws for the fan mount on the cooler?
What cpu and temps do you get. Also what fan configuration are you using (intake cpu and dual exhaust bottom)?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes intake on the CPU and exhaust on the bottom. Yes I used M3 20mm flat head screws for the fan on the cooler, they just aren't in the picture yet. I was cooling a 3600x and max temps during torture testing was about 75C, gaming temps were 55-65C depending on title.

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Those are solid temps. How do you think this cooler would compare with the alpenfon black ridge v2. Debating between the two and probably would go with the one with less noise maybe.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Those are solid temps. How do you think this cooler would compare with the alpenfon black ridge v2. Debating between the two and probably would go with the one with less noise maybe.
The Blackridge with vlp ram and 120mm fan under the heatsink would probably be better, with the 92mm fan probably pretty close.

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Yea I guess I am leaning towards the blackridge. might get it a little quieter if anything. Any comment on vlp ram or what i might need to watch out for?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Sorry I have 0 experience with vlp ram, You might want to take a look at this thread, last 5 pages or so. Lot of information there on what works and what doesn't.

beastmonkey

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Thanks for the link to the vlp thread. Its actually where i found out about the kingston ram i chose. I read through that thread on a regular basis its really good! Seems like I just gotta find some reasonable prices and things in stock. Might actually end up going with the rog strix b450 as there is less issues with the black ridge cooler. I emailed alpenfon and they got back to me in less than a day and said the new cooler ships with new am4 revision brackets that cause less issues. However the gigabyte b450 has some connections that may make using the fan underneath the cooler difficult.

Reactions: rfarmer