Planned SFF build, opinions needed

Chromavoid

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Hi All,
First off, glad I found this community. Second, this is my first build of any kind in a very long time. Its also my first SFF build.
PC Partspicker
I basically have everything except the case, GPU and SDD.

Its the GPU that I am flip flopping over. If the 1080 Ti wasn't currently $1200 new I would likely go for that, however the RTX 2080 is roughly $800 and the RTX 2070 is roughly $500.

For the gaming side of this build, I have a 1440p monitor at 60htz, so no need anytime soon for super high FPS. If its sits at 60 fps on high-ultra without a hiccup I will be happy. The games I'm playing now probably dont require such a robust build (Witcher 3, Dishonored 2) but with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next year, I'd like to confidentially play that game despite not knowing rec'd specs yet.

So, I guess my question is, what GPU? Pro's and cons for each considering the linked PCPartspicker build? Is a 2080 worth it in terms of future proofing, or is it so close in performance to the 2070 that its a wash?
Thanks!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have a RTX 2070 and a 1440p 165 MHz monitor and I can play any of the new releases at least 60 fps on high to ultra settings, usually much higher than 60 fps. I would actually wait a bit for Nvidia to release their refreshed line up, there is supposed to be a Super 2070 and a Super 2070 Ti both of which will offer higher performance than the current 2070 and should be cheaper than the current 2080. You could also wait for AMD to release the RX 5700 XT which is supposed to out perform the 2070 and have a price of $449.

Reactions: Chromavoid

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
In the end, hardware choice is determined by your case choice. I'd suggest picking a SFF case first or deciding what GPU you want to buy. The RTX 2070 has two 180mm mini itx versions, making the best choice for very small cases. If you go for something like a Ncase M1, you can get a RTX 2080Ti for it.

I'd suggest waiting a bit until we get solid reviews of Zen2 CPU and look at what's up with RTX Super.

Chromavoid

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Sorry, I failed to mention I've decided on a Cerberus case, the non- X version. So, SFF but still a bit of wiggle room compared to the other offerings.

I have decided to wait a bit on the nVidia 'Super" release just to see what that is all about. Its difficult though because most reviews online for the existing RTX line up come from an upgrade perspective, so most say the performance gains are not worth the price. However, as I am starting fresh, I am not "upgrading". Im leaning towards a 2080 (normal or super depending on price and specs etc..) as much as I want a 2080ti, for the foreseeable future I'm on a 1440p 60htz monitor...so the 2080ti is kind of pointless.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
If you're locked to 1440p/60, then i'd look at the 2070 or 2080. "Super" seems to be a refresh where the 2070 super is basiclly a bone stock 2080 and so on, with higher prices.

I personally would build a ryzen system, considering that intels current lineup isn't really anything better, only more expensive. Maybe ask the guys in the collective cerberus/slinger thread what they use, might inspire you.