My Ghost just died.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
Mods; please remove if this is against the rules, but I need help from people wiser than me. My Ghost died on me yesterday. I was gaming, and it went black. Let it cool down, but I can't boot it. The LEDs on the mobo is lit, so there is life. There was no funky sound or anything, but I noticed it was very hot. Any advice where to start troubleshooting?

Ryzen 2600x, Asus x470 I, Corsair vengeance pro, SF600 Plat, and Vega 64 reference.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Generally an aluminium case will feel hot when it's stuffed with high-end components, aluminium absorbs heat. We also feel heat as painful at around 60 or 65°C if I'm correct, so that's not always the best measure to indicate if a system is too warm: that's where component temperature readings are the better choice.

If it just suddenly went black, it's either a motherboard failure or more likely a PSU failure. It could also be a graphics card suddenly become unseated from the PCIe socket maybe.

Unplug your power supply from the wall, wait an hour or so, plug it back in and see if it starts. The fact your LEDs are lit to me indicates the PSU is enabling power to the motherboard but maybe the board itself is tripped into a protection. Asus boards have Anti Surge as a feature and I've read people having this trigger false positives and shutting down their system.

If that doesn't work, I recommend taking the PC apart, rebuild it outside of the case and see if it is an issue with a component not being correctly seated. Be sure to have your board on something not electrically conductive.

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
Make sure the motherboard is grounded and reset it via the CMOS battery.

Last edited:

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
It was the PSU that died on me. Will return it under warranty, and I've already ordered the SF 750 to replace it!

Thanks for replies, guis!

Reactions: Phuncz and ignsvn

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I once had a PSU fail on me, and despite all my attempts to troubleshoot it it seemed completely dead. Months later I randomly tried it again and lo and behold, it worked fine. Never figured out why it did that.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
Replaced the PSU, and all was fine and dandy. Funny thing is, the computer runs smoother with the new unit (Corsair SF 750)!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hmm have you overclocked the CPU and GPU maybe ? Overclocking can drastically increase power consumption and it might explain why your PSU failed. It should be plenty sufficient for default clocks and voltages.

Reactions: deadline