Power Supply My Corsair SF750 Power Supply died on my again! Recommendations for Replacement?

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Hey Guys,

This now my 2nd SF750 that died on me. Hopefully they'll replace it again.

Is there not any better option for a small form factor computer ?

I have the cerberus case.

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
What computer hardware are you powering it with? What position is the PSU sitting (above motherboard or the front of the Cerberus Case with PSU fan facing internal or external)? When does it die (under load, what load, idle or it doesn't turn on after a shutdown)?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
silverstone has the SX700-PT (also true SFX), but yeah gotta make sure if it's a QA issue on corsair's side or too much power load from your system

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
@Sashby @VegetableStu

Well here are the specs on my computer:

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Asus GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card

MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

I did turn off overclocking so the CPU is running at the CPU at base speed 3600Mhz
The maximium temperature it goes to when rendering is 62/. otherwise the computer is really cool around 44 think.

I was thinking maybe this power supply may not be enough to power these components. It seems like alot of people are complaining about all of the SFX style power supplies on Amazon dying on them or even sometimes burning out and damaging the rest of their components!?

With my first power supply my computer just wouldn't power on one day.

This time it randomly restarted one day while the computer was idle?
I thought maybe it could be some kind of driver issue so I made sure the graphics card driver was updated.

So once in a while it would restart. But now this friday morning it shut down. It would not power on at all. Then when I came back in the evening it was on by itself !? However when I logged into Windows it would just keep restarting and not even make it to the windows log in screen.

That's pretty much what it's doing now. If it lets me log in it will either restart right away or after a bit. Then it gets stuck constantly restarting. I had to unplug it to get it to stop.

This is even after I turned off the automatic restart option.

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Troubleshooting Update:

After searching for advice on computers just restarting randomly here's what I tried:

1. Checked all connections. They were good

1. Sprayed everything for dust. There really wasn't any inside the computer at all. The filters in the front and bottom of the case caught it all.

1. Disabled automatic restarts.

Anyhow amazingly since Tuesday my computer seems ok!?

I haven’t tried doing any rendering as I need to have my computer up and running so I can work. I did open one of my projects in Unreal and was able to run around in it no problem. Before my computer was shutting down when I tried to run it.

Now I'm wondering if maybe I did something wrong putting together my computer?

I didn't realize that the power supply actually sucks in air. I think this filter is blocking the airflow and causing the problem as there is no way to check the power supply temperature?

I put the filter in front of a tabletop fan to see just how much air it blocks and yeah it pretty much blocks it all.

The power supply is in the front facing forward on the top. The big dust accumulation on the filter is due to the fan right below it.

Here are the fans and cooler for the CPU. They are set up so that the air is going from the front of the case through to the back

Case Airflow

Like I said for now everything seems to be working fine.

I'm wondering if I should turn the power supply so the fan is facing the inside. But then the CPU fans are sucking air in the opposite direction. Wouldn’t this possibly prevent air from going into the power supply fan?

The temperature is really cool inside the case.

Anyhow when I have the time I will try rendering a project after taking off the front panel and filter.

Do you think I need to take the front panel off ( all the time now) or just removing the filter is enough?

My last concern is the amount of dust on the filter. If I take it off all that dust will be inside power supply.

I'm thinking I can cut the filter in half to still cover the fan area at least.

Thoughts ? Suggestions?