CPU Multiple PCIe Riser Cards in Series

Brian McGuigan

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
Has anyone tried it? Did it work?

I am about to build my first SFF Case, for an 'Air-Cooled, Micro Workstation-Server', that I want to fit in my briefcase. Because of height restrictions, there is no space in the case for a full-sized GPU. But there is space in the case for a DIY eGPU.

So, what I would like to do is extend the PCIe Slot outside the case. (I am well aware about the USB 4, Thunderbolt 4, and Oculink options. So, don't bother to tell me about them.) What I want to do is physically extend the PCIe Slot to the outside of the case. Again, I realise I could use a PCIe Riser Cable, take through a slot and plug it into the PCIe Slot on the motherboard. But to do so, I'd have to open the case. NO, what I want to do is plug a Riser Cable into a PCIe Slot, situated in the open-air on the side of the case.

My idea is to plug a short Right-angled Riser Card into the PCIe Slot on the motherboard. I'd then plug a short straight Riser Card into that, which would take it out through the side of the Case. The second card would be screwed down, so that it would not move - even if the case cover was removed.

I know physically, it can be done, as I've already designed the case. The question is, will the PCIe signal degrade too much to be practical. So if you've already done it, please let me know.

The only reference I've found to anything similar, is a LTT video on YouTube, where they used multiple PCIe 3.0 Riser Cables in series - just to see if it could be done. They got out to 3.6M, before it stopped working! BUT, that was PCIe 3.0. I hope I can get away with two short PCIe 4.0 Riser Carsds, and a 20cm/8in, Riser Cable.