Motherboard Motherboard Power

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
I'm looking to hook up a monitor to my mobo through usb for power. (usb-a 3.0 if possible, but can do usb-c)
Before going out and buying stuff, I wantted to make sure that I'm not going to be straining my board.

I'm wondering how all the usb power is distributed through the board, are they all hooked up to a bus with a max power output of (Ex.) 150W? or does each usb have its own dedicated power of 100W max?

I got 100W because USB 3.0 can draw 20V at 5A, In case anyone was wondering where I got that from.

Thanks

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Ok, so I probably should have done this first but I read up on the USB PD cable wiki. (Here's the link) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power.

You can deliver power up to 100W through USB-a:b:c although it didnt really talk about the mobo specs (Granted, It was a USB wiki). So does anyone know if it can be done through mobo without taking power from other usb devices plugged in?

Sorry if this is all over the place, my next class starts in 5 min and I'm all over the place

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
From experience, the power available is shared across the bus - drawing 100w (for example) from every USB port on a board would quickly melt the power delivery componentry.

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
From experience, the power available is shared across the bus - drawing 100w (for example) from every USB port on a board would quickly melt the power delivery componentry.

Do you have any articles on the subject? I've been looking around for a couple days, but no real results.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Would it be difficult to try tying into your PSU instead?

And, FWIW, my 24" monitors (1080p, 144Hz) draw a constant ~20W according to my Kill-a-Watt outlet meter. They're set to 0 brightness, which is still way too bright (the OSD control doesn't seem to change anything...), but that might have some effect.

Have you tried measuring your monitor's power draw, or are you going off of a spec sheet? Because the AC-DC brick for my monitor, I forget the numbers, but its Amps & Volts average out to somewhere between like 60 and 160W.

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
I looked at the spec sheet and it seems as though I don't need the full 45-60W that was recommended, but what makes sense to me is to find out how much power I have to work with before making decisions. Looking to pair up multiple monitors, assuming I have the appropriate power outputs I can hook up at least one without an issue (so it's operational). Just trying to get a better idea of the limitations