Advice Monitor arm help

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I recently purchased and desk clamp monitor arm for my monitor, to save up space on my desk and keep it minimal. Due to it having a much smaller footprint than the base stand of the monitor itself.

Now I'm a bit unsure on 2 things regarding this stand, since I've never used this kind of stand before and might seem silly to some of you, but please be kind here. We're all beginners with everything at some point in life.

My questions are these:

1. Does it matter which way the "clamp" is oriented? Should it be vertical (picture A) as in relation to the monitor and user or horisontal (picture B), or doesn't this matter?

A

B

2. Does it make any difference if I would unscrew the 2 parts and move the lower part one position up, since it has a spare screw hole at the top and hence making the space smaller? Does this have any effect on the rigidity of the stand and/or clamping part of the stand itself or not?.

Please do excuse the picture quality of the photos, my photographing skills aren't the best.

Thanks everyone,
Dawelio

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
1. The practical difference is small between having the clamp in positions A and B. However, with position A, the clamping part seems to leave a gap (see the red arrow in my pic) between the table and the clamp, due to the clamping part hitting a part of the table. This is not ideal. I would 'rotate' the clamping part (possibly somewhere between position A and position B) so that the clamp moves all the way into the table, leaving no gap.

2. Makes little practical difference here. If you move it one position up, the clamp structure will be more stiff (slightly). No big deal here.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
1. The practical difference is small between having the clamp in positions A and B. However, with position A, the clamping part seems to leave a gap (see the red arrow in my pic) between the table and the clamp, due to the clamping part hitting a part of the table. This is not ideal. I would 'rotate' the clamping part (possibly somewhere between position A and position B) so that the clamp moves all the way into the table, leaving no gap.

2. Makes little practical difference here. If you move it one position up, the clamp structure will be more stiff (slightly). No big deal here.

Thank you for your reply and quite interesting to read it as well.

Oh by the way, if you're referring to "due to the clamping part hitting a part of the table" regarding the bottom 2 images, that's not the actual position on my desk though. It's only a place holder to illustrate the actual clamping part and the screws for question 2. The real place won't have any obstacles or so to interefere with the mounting part itself at all. Just free space.

Yeah, just saw your picture and this is exactly what I thought above. Apologies for the confussion this may have caused due to my pictures.