Mini-ITX board for Ryzen launch?

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
So, what's the over under on any manufacturer actually releasing a mini-ITX board for the Ryzen launch? Would love if that happened, but sadly based on what was shown at CES that seems unlikely to me.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
There have only been two ITX AM4 boards announced so far, both of them from Biostar: an X370 and a B350 board. There could be one or two more announced, but Asus, Gigabyte, and ASRock have said they do not have plans for one yet, leaving MSI and ECS the only other options. No X300 or A300 boards known of yet...AMD had mentioned to me that there were 2 vendors making ITX boards at CES and they told @3lfk1ng there would be 3.

Biostar will be showing their AM4 boards on Feb. 22nd. We'll see if they show their ITX boards then, but not sure they will make the launch of the Ryzen processors.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Yeah the BIostar ones were the only ones that I knew about, but those have never even been pictured (on the plus side, at least there's a *chance* they won't have the gawdawful ugly checkerboard silkscreen on the PCB ;)

I may end up having to go w/ a bigger board to get 2 x M.2 slots anyway...

Reactions: TheHig

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
AM4 mITX will be an issue at launch, but I doubt that it will last very long. Although it might take a while for newer boards to arrive than the ones already in production, manufacturers will be quick to turn to mITX if Ryzen becomes a hit.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I may end up having to go w/ a bigger board to get 2 x M.2 slots anyway...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. More drive options and ram capacity if needed may push me there too.
Really want to stay iTX though!

Asus has just has 4 boards listed so far with 3 ATX and 1 mATX. Hopefully this lineup gets fleshed out...

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I still haven't seen an mATX board that caters to enthusiasts either.
They all seem pretty bland/basic unless I have overlooked one of the boards.
It's seems like all the love is for ATX boards.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I still haven't seen an mATX board that caters to enthusiasts either.
They all seem pretty bland/basic unless I have overlooked one of the boards.
It's seems like all the love is for ATX boards.
Exactly. The overclocking support is there for the B350 boards but as fun as budget overclocking can be there is a market alive and well for enthusiast boards across all form factors. I agree with @Phuncz that if the sales are strong on the Cpus the depth in platform choice will follow. But I want it on day one darn it!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I guess this means we shouldn't be expecting mITX AM4 boards at launch. Luckily µATX is in the launch campaign with the X370 chipset.

Reactions: Soul_Est

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Asrock has that A88M-G for FM2 with 2x PCI x16 slots and USB 3.1, m.2 etc...

I hope they do the same type of board for AM4!

They do? (4x 3.0, 2x 16x, 2x m.2)
...or at least Videocardz says they do.
https://videocardz.net/mobo/asrock-ab350m-pro4

However, this was the same board that ASRock specifically told me was mislabeled on their advertisement at CES (source) and that it only had 1x 16x slot and that it wouldn't support Crossfire.
:\
I guess we will have to wait and see.

The problem is also that x370 is being advertised as the only chipset that will support Crossfire (key for Cerberus, Orthrus builds)

I'm hopeful that an x370 mATX board will be announced soon.

Last edited:

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
We probably wont see any X300 boards for another month or two. I was reading somewhere that the chipset isnt actually ready yet and we probably wont see them til Q2 when the r5 lineup is released.