Mini Hotbox - SG13 HTPC/Gaming Build

ianuk2005

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Hi,

Wanted to post my build here and say thanks to everyone who helped answering questions I had.

The Goal:
A small living room PC dual booted with openelec (Kodi) and windows for gaming. The PC will be an always on machine for media playback that can also be booted to windows for heavy gaming. The PC should be quiet while playing media as it is not resource intensive but obviously might kick up to audible levels when gaming. This is to replace my current Alienware Alpha.

Limitations:
The area it's going is 32x27x32 cm (W x H x D) with the front and sides closed off with an extra 5cm open clearance at the back. Yes I lock my PC in a cupboard :). This limits case choices especially since I wan to fit my router and a USB DVB-T tuner in the same area.

The thing I wrestled most with was the case choice as it needs to fit in such a small confined space but still keep itself cool enough. The ideal case was the Q21 as it's tiny, I also considered a Kolink case but settled on the SG13 as a happy compromise that's somewhere in the middle.

Final Parts:
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B Mini ITX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-L9i
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO Mini ITX
Ram: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Boot SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB
Data HDD: 2TB 2.5 (Already owned)
PSU: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Final price came to just shy of £650

Performance:
CPU is between 40-50C for HTPC duties and the CPU/GPU both get in the 70-75C with heavy gaming. It's high for sure, but it's not bad for the confined space. Fans are a little noisywhen gaming for my liking but lower than my PS4 and my old alienware alpha so it's an improvement. When just watching TV or streaming tv/movies it's silent.

It holds a steady 60FPS on ultra for most games I've tried at 1080p, it can get drops but mainly when the CPU bottlenecks on a few titles. May upgrade to an i5 some point in the future but overall it performs fantastic, much better than my old 860m and PS4.

Parts ready to go:

Some initial cable management before the PSU is in

Getting busy, putting the drive bay on was a mistake had to remove it to fit the PSU!

All nice and neat with the PSU in minus the cables

Managed to get some clearance for the 140mm to the CPU once the PSU was in but it's super tight

Cable management on the GPU side isn't too messy

On the other side it's a different story! Everything is bunched to the corner with some ties at the top of the chassis

Final size comparison, around 2x PS4's, it's not as wide or deep but quite a bit taller

Away in it's cupboard with the router and usb tuner, out of sight you would never know it's there

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
How are you liking the EVGA 1060 SC? Mine has the original BIOS with the always-on fan and I hate it, it's waaaaaay too loud at idle.

There's a BIOS update to give it semi-fanless functionality but I want to test the before and after for my review so I've just been using headphones in the meantime.

Last edited:

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
@aiboh this might be off topic but do you have a gtx 970 asus mini and a evga 1060 sc to compare for noise?

i have a 970 asus mini which goes to 26% at idle (not sure what rpm, but it's inaudible. The only other fan that's on at idle is a noctua 120mm @ 400rpm)
The 1060sc only goes to 45% (and then 0db of course)

Just wondering how loud the 1060sc is at load vs the 970 asus mini. Yes the 1060sc is cooler (60°) but my asus 970 mini is loud after 55% on the fan curve, so i run it at 55% fan curve which is audible but very quiet and it stays at 70°.

Ideally the 1060sc would be able to stay at a lower rpm than the 970 mini (hence quieter) and also cooler.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
@aiboh this might be off topic but do you have a gtx 970 asus mini and a evga 1060 sc to compare for noise?

I do not own a GTX 970 Mini and one hasn't come through at work.

Just wondering how loud the 1060sc is at load vs the 970 asus mini.

FWIW, running FurMark real quick the fan is at 61% at 66°C. This is in an open-air setup at an ambient temp of around 27°C.

ianuk2005

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
How are you liking the EVGA 1060 SC? Mine has the original BIOS with the always-on fan and I hate it, it's waaaaaay too loud at idle.

There's a BIOS update to give it semi-fanless functionality but I want to test the before and after for my review so I've just been using headphones in the meantime.

Its a fantastic card.

It's a fantastic card, it's quiet, small, cheap and performs great, I actually chose it over the zotac mini one from a recommendation here because it had the semi fanless BIOS, I assumed all newer cards would have this as standard. First thing I did was update the BIOS so I can't compare it to the old BIOS.

I've not benched the GPU on it's own yet but I suspect my case/CPU fan are going to always going to make more noise than the GPU as the CPU get's hotter quicker and has to deal with the hot air from the GPU.

Performance wise it's a perfect 1080p 60fps card, I'd expect it to keep up for a few years dropping down from ultra settings as games improve.

ianuk2005

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Some final tweaking of the fans and I think I've finally hit the sweet spot!

I've set the GPU to be less agressive than the default semi passive BIOS. In my setup its between 60-65% when the GPU fan becomes noticeable when gaming with low audio. New fans set to 60% at 70c so the GPU can get hotter without being audiable.

My old CPU/Case fans speeds were set to start really ramping up around 75c. I've upped this to be 80c when so the fans arent really audible when gaming.

I dont normally have long gaming sessions, 1-2 hours normally. Gave it a good stress with Doom 4 tonight at 3 hours, half unlocked fps and half locked to 60 fps to test.

Both GPU and CPU hit the higher end when unlocked and the typical 50-100 ranged locked for heavy 1080p gaming.

CPU maxed at 79c with typical range of 70-75c and the GPU maxed 72c with a tupical range of 60-70c. Fans weren't noticeable at all 6ft away despite having the volume set to 9/100 (1 year old in the next room).

I'm even happier with the system now and I think I can stop tweaking. It really cant be overstated how good the pascal/skylake thermals are compared to previous gen. It manges to be near silent inder heavy load even in my mini hotbox setup.

Reactions: Soul_Est and jtd871