M1 vs DA2 vs Cerberus vs Nano S

mfanter

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Hey guys.

Completely new to SFF and currently have a huge case from be quiet.

I want to build a system that will be dead silent even under load. I don't want to hear it, so silence is my #1 priority when building. I've never built a PC before so starting with something complicated does seem a little bit daunting.

What's the build quality and material quality of M1, DA2, Cerberus and Nano S? Does one have an edge over the other in terms of sound dampening?

The reason I included the Nano S is because it has sound dampening foam inside and dust filters, not to mention that it's 1/3rd of the price of an Ncase M1. The only real downside is that it seems pretty big for SFF.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
It depends on your parts. If you’re talking about 9900K and 2080ti, then then Nano S might be the only one that can be “silent”. All the other cases are well vented (no sound dampening) to cool their small internals. The Nano S case has some sound dampening.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
It depends on your parts. If you’re talking about 9900K and 2080ti, then then Nano S might be the only one that can be “silent”. All the other cases are well vented (no sound dampening) to cool their small internals. The Nano S case has some sound dampening.

I am dreading that those are his parts lol. And I don’t think that even a nano would be dead silent. Really the only way to be undetectable is to both ditch fans/ go passive and forget hdd’s to have a truly silent build.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I was thinking the same thing, at least with the Nano S he could use something like the Noctua NH-D14. That at least would give him a fighting chance at a silent build.

Although going with the Cerberus would allow him to use a 3 slot GPU which should be the quietest option.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
For such a build, the less heat you have to manage, the better. Something like the Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700 (both 65W TDP) + a Radeon RX 570 (150W TDP) would suffice while allowing for fairly quiet operation. This all depends on what you need out of your build.

Reactions: TheHig

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
A cerberus with 2x 240 radiator open loop and a sfx-l psu could potentially be rather quiet. Dead silent is definitely not gonna happen in the dan or the ncase.

Last edited:

mfanter

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I'm NOT going with a 9900k, I'll be going for something like a ryzen 5 from the new series when it comes out. I do want a good GPU so probably something with the performance of a 2070 or 2080 tops.

Sorry for the late response, had to leave for an emergency!

Cerberus>all (of your aforementioned cases)
Why is the Cerberus better? Is the build quality/material better?
I'm a little annoyed with how pricey it is considering you don't get dust filters but I can live with the price if it's really high quality.

Being completely new to SFF I've tried doing my research but obviously you guys know a lot more.

I've seen this article from 2014, http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1431-page1.html
They almost managed to get it below 20db under load.

I think 5 years should have at least some progress in the quality of some fans, coolers, etc.
Any chance I can use a Cerberus with a similar build to allow for slightly better thermals and larger parts for the GPU to make it really silent?

For such a build, the less heat you have to manage, the better. Something like the Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700 (both 65W TDP) + a Radeon RX 570 (150W TDP) would suffice while allowing for fairly quiet operation. This all depends on what you need out of your build.

I'm definitely going for something mid range, I also don't want to overclock the system, so I would be purchasing the 3600x Ryzen when it comes out, unless Intel had something better that's probably my main choice.

Last edited:

mfanter

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Another question - do you guys think the Nano S is too large to be on a desktop? I'm really worried about that.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Another question - do you guys think the Nano S is too large to be on a desktop? I'm really worried about that.

For me it is too big. I used to have a Phanteks Evol itx which is just a bit taller. These cases are the size of micro atx towers and aren't really made for the desktop.

alski

Cable Smoosher
Feb 18, 2018
That depends on your desk.
For example, at work we are moving to a 42" 4K, flanked by portrait 23" portrait 1080ps. With all that screen real estate there is nowhere that any PC can go, not even between the monitor and the desk (as there is about an inch there with the monitor arms at full stretch).
At home on the other hand, my desk is quite large at least two-three times as wide as deep. My wife's is more like 1.5-2 times as wide as deep. Mine can easily take a reasonable case and a pair of 23" 1080ps, but my wife's couldn't.

So, I guess what I am saying is, how big is your desk and what else has to fit on it?

Reactions: Soul_Est

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Like several have mentioned. It would definitely help to know your parts and maybe even the desk space you are looking to use. Monitor and all.

For example I have a 27in monitor and custom water Cerberus X build right on the desk next to it. Desk top is about 48x30 inches and has room for the monitor, Cerberus X, KB, mouse, drinks, snacks and more. For me? Totally fine space and noise wise. Its not silent since I can hear the water pump no matter what but it is very quiet. Under load the fans are present but not uncomfortably so even gaming without head phones. A non offensive steady woosh if you will.

Big air can be very quiet if you have the space for over sized cooling and your GPU has excellent cooling. MSI Gaming X and so on. Also go overkill wattage on the PSU to minimize the fan there ramping up. Or go for the Silverston Nightjar which is available up to 520w Platinum and fanless! Lots of options. Temps can be sacrificed for silence if you are really sensitive too.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
"Dead silent" to me means no moving parts, in which case none of those cases will cut it (unless you're using strictly low power parts). For a completely passive system that should be able to handle at least mid range parts, take a look at Monster Labo.

mfanter

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Like several have mentioned. It would definitely help to know your parts and maybe even the desk space you are looking to use. Monitor and all.

For example I have a 27in monitor and custom water Cerberus X build right on the desk next to it. Desk top is about 48x30 inches and has room for the monitor, Cerberus X, KB, mouse, drinks, snacks and more. For me? Totally fine space and noise wise. Its not silent since I can hear the water pump no matter what but it is very quiet. Under load the fans are present but not uncomfortably so even gaming without head phones. A non offensive steady woosh if you will.

Big air can be very quiet if you have the space for over sized cooling and your GPU has excellent cooling. MSI Gaming X and so on. Also go overkill wattage on the PSU to minimize the fan there ramping up. Or go for the Silverston Nightjar which is available up to 520w Platinum and fanless! Lots of options. Temps can be sacrificed for silence if you are really sensitive too.

Since my responses are scattered around I'll get them here:
Monitor - 27inch, it's possible i'll have 1 more 24inch monitor on the desk.
System specs - something around a Ryzen 3600X when it comes out(or intel equivalent) and a 2070(minimum) to 2080 in the GPU section.
My desk is 190 x 55 cm, not sure about inches.

I'm thinking of going with the SF600 by Corsair for the PSU, or the 750w version so even under load the fan will barely move.

"Dead silent" to me means no moving parts, in which case none of those cases will cut it (unless you're using strictly low power parts). For a completely passive system that should be able to handle at least mid range parts, take a look at Monster Labo.
Hey Necere.

I'm personally not a fan of the aesthetics of the Monster Labo you linked, I really like a clean design of a box similar to an ncase m1 or a Nano S/H200 and somewhat Cerberus.

I'm not an expert on building components, is there a way to get an air cooled version of this build from 2014 with newer, supposedly quieter parts? They got a tad over 20db under load which, in my book, seems acceptable as in virtually silent. These levels should be quieter than the ambient noise levels and nearly inaudible with headphones on.

I've seen you guys suggest a water loop or AIO, are these really better than having Noctua fans? If I compromised on 'dead silent' and went for 'nearly silent' would that be better?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Since my responses are scattered around I'll get them here:
Monitor - 27inch, it's possible i'll have 1 more 24inch monitor on the desk.
System specs - something around a Ryzen 3600X when it comes out(or intel equivalent) and a 2070(minimum) to 2080 in the GPU section.
My desk is 190 x 55 cm, not sure about inches.

I'm thinking of going with the SF600 by Corsair for the PSU, or the 750w version so even under load the fan will barely move.

Hey Necere.

I'm personally not a fan of the aesthetics of the Monster Labo you linked, I really like a clean design of a box similar to an ncase m1 or a Nano S/H200 and somewhat Cerberus.

I'm not an expert on building components, is there a way to get an air cooled version of this build from 2014 with newer, supposedly quieter parts? They got a tad over 20db under load which, in my book, seems acceptable as in virtually silent. These levels should be quieter than the ambient noise levels and nearly inaudible with headphones on.

I've seen you guys suggest a water loop or AIO, are these really better than having Noctua fans? If I compromised on 'dead silent' and went for 'nearly silent' would that be better?
Based on your parts, and linked build, I’d suggest using the same exact D9L or U9S from Noctua. For your GPU, I’d suggest a hybrid 2080 directly from EVGA or other brands with sizes that fit the M1. For power supply, a higher grade PSU will be also more silent. I’d recommend the Corsair SF750, so that the PSU is running at peak efficiency. Good luck!

Reactions: TheHig

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@mfanter if you go with Nanook's suggestion make sure you get the vented side panel and not the window. You need the fan bracket in order to mount the hybrid AIO.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm a little annoyed with how pricey it is considering you don't get dust filters but I can live with the price if it's really high quality.

There are ones available for purchase from Decmiflex, I believe.