Cooling Low-Profile Cooler Compatibility with AM4

danger

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I just realized that Noctua's L9a is not compatible with AM4 (even with their upgrade kit). Are there any known low-profile (45mm or less) coolers that are compatible with AM4? I was considering preordering ryzen for my dancases A4 or sentry, but if L9a isn't compatible, I don't know what cooler I could use.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Not yet. There isn't even an mITX board coming out...Biostar has announced two, but release date is unknown. But, with this potential big win for AMD, many more coolers (and boards) could come out with compatibility.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My two cents on the free mount kits: I didn't fill in the "free mount kit" form for my Noctua NH-L12. I just purchased it at a reseller.

I'm one of those idiots that pre-ordered a Ryzen CPU. Yes, I'll give you my home address to forward your hate and disgust in a moment. Because I already feel like a tool, I don't want to stuck waiting weeks for the kit to be sent.

http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit-order-form

Delivery may take up to 2 weeks depending on your destination.

If you need the kit urgently, please consider ordering it via a local reseller.
Not to say Noctua isn't an upstanding company, in my regards they are. But if all of my stuff arrives (hopefully) next week, I don't want to have to wait to be able to use it because I'm missing a few strips of metal and some screws.

Reactions: Soul_Est and cmyk78

danger

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
My two cents on the free mount kits: I didn't fill in the "free mount kit" form for my Noctua NH-L12. I just purchased it at a reseller.

I'm one of those idiots that pre-ordered a Ryzen CPU. Yes, I'll give you my home address to forward your hate and disgust in a moment. Because I already feel like a tool, I don't want to stuck waiting weeks for the kit to be sent.

http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit-order-form

Not to say Noctua isn't an upstanding company, in my regards they are. But if all of my stuff arrives (hopefully) next week, I don't want to have to wait to be able to use it because I'm missing a few strips of metal and some screws.
I can see why you would order from a retailer to get it ASAP, but what is the harm in also ordering from Noctua? Are they charging for shipping?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh I'm not forcing anyone's hand in choosing one or the other, I'm just pointing out that the free mounting kits don't seem to be a good solution because of the time it takes. I can imagine, even in a month or two when availability is solid and someone buys an AM4 system without ordering the kit upfront, it might mean not being able to use it while waiting for the kit to arrive. And because manufacturers demand invoices of the CPU or motherboard, you're basically not going to be able to order the kit ahead of time anyway.

Personally I only got one compatible Noctua cooler for which I'm getting the kit and with only one AM4 system (soon), I personally don't have the need for more than one kit. I also have a few Scythe coolers but I'm pretty sure they won't be used in my Ryzen system.

danger

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I would probably pay for the kit instead of waiting too, but I can't find whether they charge to ship the kits to you if you qualify.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Cryorig says their upgrade kit is compatible with all their coolers. So I guess that makes the C7 (47mm) AM4 compatible. Shortest AM4 cooler I've seen yet.