Discussion Looking for a new case

BananaOoyoo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
Hey everyone,

My brother was interested in downsizing his pc and specifically interested in the Node 202 I'm currently using, so I am considering transplanting my system in a new SFF case. My current build is below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.47 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - 58mm, fan replacement to a Noctua NF-F12 or A12x15 possible
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card - 299.72mm x 144.69mm x dual slot
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
2x Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan

I'm hoping to replace as few parts as possible aside from the Node 202. The two most likely swaps, if my brother needs them, would be the PSU (SF600 Gold -> SF750 Platinum) and the CPU cooler (Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B -> whatever the new case works best with).

I started by looking at the Ncase M1 and Dan A4, but the M1 doesn't fit a 1080ti FTW3 and the A4 seems to have issues cooling the 8700k. I was also recommended the Sliger SM580, but that also has issues with GPU compatibility with a flush power mount.

Would I have more luck with the FormD T1 (will the GPU fit?) or the Ghost S1 (what is the optimal solution for the GPU bracket vs. tophat?), or are there any other obvious suggestions for the SFF case?

I'd really appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have a 8700k cooled by a BS2 in my Ghost and it works really well, I would consider the Ghost with a small tophat for the FTW. If you want to use an AIO you could go with the SM570 or SM580.

Reactions: BananaOoyoo

BananaOoyoo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
I have a 8700k cooled by a BS2 in my Ghost and it works really well, I would consider the Ghost with a small tophat for the FTW. If you want to use an AIO you could go with the SM570 or SM580.

The S1 in its base configuration only has room for 1 case fan, right? So I could go for either the small tophat for GPU cables, or medium tophat for cables & the second fan.

Did you end up replacing the stock fan for the BS2? It looks like there's enough clearance for a 15mm fan, so I could switch out the slipstream for an A12x15.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes the base Ghost has room for just one fan below the PSU, medium would be a good idea if you want additional fans. I replaced my fan on the BS2 with a Scythe Kaze Flex Slim, I am also using two of them in a small tophat for exhaust.

Reactions: BananaOoyoo

BananaOoyoo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
Yes the base Ghost has room for just one fan below the PSU, medium would be a good idea if you want additional fans. I replaced my fan on the BS2 with a Scythe Kaze Flex Slim, I am also using two of them in a small tophat for exhaust.

Perfect. If I go the S1 route, I’ll do the medium tophat, pick up a ~15mm fan for the CPU, then figure out what to do with the remaining three. (Slipstream & 2x NF-F12, so one under the PSU and two in the tophat)