Linus giving out some SFF love

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
Linus delivering the goods once again.

It's a shame his choices are so large in volume ;)

Where are all the sub 4 litre cases at?

In all seriousness however, I'm glad sff is rising in popularity.

Bruman

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
I'm surprised he included the Dan and NCase due to their Kickstarter/Indygogo only (so far) status, though I am glad he did. Been looking for an SSF case for a friend and this will be useful to show him.

Reactions: Phuncz

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
(Bitfenix Portal) Evoking a certain Turret design...

Mod edit: Threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I'm surprised he included the Dan and NCase due to their Kickstarter/Indygogo only (so far) status, though I am glad he did. Been looking for an SSF case for a friend and this will be useful to show him.
Did you mean the Dan A4 and Sentry? Because the M1 has been available through our website continuously (excepting some restocks between production runs) since 2014.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I honestly didn't want to click on the video. I did, and I cringed like I thought I would. I guess it's nice that sff is becoming more mainstream, but sooo many people are just vehemently opposed it seems.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think the biggest problem SFF is facing is that the mantra bigger is better is so engrained in the psyche of consumers, especially in the West. Most people can't fathom the computing density that SFF provides and it will take a lot of time and effort to change that. While I don't agree with some of Linus' choices (the Bitfenix in particular), outside of the boutique space the choices for good SFF cases is still quite poor. Even the ones he chose (Node 202, RVZ02, ML07) are not particularly well ventilated, have a cheap plastic finish and don't make the best use of the space they have.

Love him or hate him, Linus is the big fish in the world of PCs right now and the fact he gives as much love as he does to SFF is something I'm very grateful for.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I honestly didn't want to click on the video. I did, and I cringed like I thought I would. I guess it's nice that sff is becoming more mainstream, but sooo many people are just vehemently opposed it seems.
People fear and dislike what they don't understand, people don't understand how a 12L box can perform as well in almost all regards as a 48L box. It's the same for cars, phones, televisions, audio equipment: bigger is better, either in a number or in a size.

Marketing abuses this ignorance:
- more megapixels = beter photos
- larger speaker = more sound
- more horsepower = faster car
- more gigahertz = more speed
- bigger phone = better phone
etc etc.

And it isn't helped by the herd-mind that echoes their own voices.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I have a computer on my desk the size of a box of matches that literally spec's up well against the first gen G3 iMac. First mobile and now IoT have seen the whole industry Push harder than ever before for more performance, less power and more density. W/ the server rooms of the world pushing for exactly the same things. The pressure on both sides has seen the market responding faster every year. outside of x86 the market is moving fast. Alot of desktop users seem rooted in the mindset that nothing is changing fast whilst in the server room there are dual socket 96 core ARM servers that are selling at least enough to support full production runs, the phone in your pocket puts the Saturn 5 to shame and now even your light bulbs have a computer in them w/ a performant ARM / MIPS SoC in it, wireless radios and usually an embeded linux of some kind. W/ AMD not being competitive until recently, GPU's stuck on old process nodes for years, etc its an easy mindset to get into. The reality is things are changing faster than ever, its the x86 platform thats stalled. if AMD cant stay competitive then its probably not just the end of them but also the end of the x86 platform as a thing thats relevant at all. W/ the ever increasing push for smaller and more performant computing SFF will end up being the defacto standard for most desktop computing either as a market desire or as a consequence of both the smallest and largest devices (IoT & server rooms) either side of the desktop market demanding it.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
your light bulbs have a computer in them w/ a performant ARM / MIPS SoC in it, wireless radios and usually an embeded linux of some kind.
Well great, now I'm hung up wanting to run Linux on a lightbulb, nevermind the rest ;)