Log Lian-TU 150 the right case for Evga RTX 3080 XC3?

TycStyle

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
Hello all,

I was able to upgrade (just in time last year) my TU150 (non TG model) with the 5800X and the Evga XC3 Ultra model of the 3080.
I really like the case and because the cooler, the Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH edition was doing a solid job cooling the previous Cpu (3700x), I wanted to keep it in.
The GPU though was upgraded from a 5700XT, which ran quite a bit cooler, which is a given.

The GPU was undervolted, to make it run more stable, which it does at 1920Mhz and with temps in regular gaming below 75c.
There's a Noctua Nf-a12x25 mounted as intake and the Scythe fans can run at their max Rpm with nice Cpu temps and low noise.

But, in some games with Ray Tracing, like Dirt 5, Metro Exodus, Port Royal stress test, temps creep towards max levels (80/81) at 1905Mhz @0.894V, which obviously increases fan noise. I have supported the GPU with 2 slim fans underneath and they do help, since temps are a few degrees worse than without. But there's 2 questions here:

- are the ventilation holes on the bottom large enough? (Compared to the longer openings on the NR200 from Cooler master)
- is the case pulling/channeling through enough air for the GPU, since it only uses the CPU rear fan as exhaust, combined with the side vent holes in the panel.
- would a case with top and bottom case setup with the CPU cooler turned vertical actually be more effective for the CPU?
Any Sff cases that should be considered for these parts? I really like air cooling, just not sure how to compare the case to others for this hardware, looked everywhere and seen a lot of vids on cases, but how to compare is difficult.

Hope to have some thoughts shared on this.
Many thanks in advance.

TycStyle

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
Hello all,

I was able to upgrade (just in time last year) my TU150 (non TG model) with the 5800X and the Evga XC3 Ultra model of the 3080.
I really like the case and because the cooler, the Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH edition was doing a solid job cooling the previous Cpu (3700x), I wanted to keep it in.
The GPU though was upgraded from a 5700XT, which ran quite a bit cooler, which is a given.

The GPU was undervolted, to make it run more stable, which it does at 1920Mhz and with temps in regular gaming below 75c.
There's a Noctua Nf-a12x25 mounted as intake and the Scythe fans can run at their max Rpm with nice Cpu temps and low noise.

But, in some games with Ray Tracing, like Dirt 5, Metro Exodus, Port Royal stress test, temps creep towards max levels (80/81) at 1905Mhz @0.894V, which obviously increases fan noise. I have supported the GPU with 2 slim fans underneath and they do help, since temps are a few degrees worse than without. But there's 2 questions here:

- are the ventilation holes on the bottom large enough? (Compared to the longer openings on the NR200 from Cooler master)
- is the case pulling/channeling through enough air for the GPU, since it only uses the CPU rear fan as exhaust, combined with the side vent holes in the panel.
- would a case with top and bottom case setup with the CPU cooler turned vertical actually be more effective for the CPU?
Any Sff cases that should be considered for these parts? I really like air cooling, just not sure how to compare the case to others for this hardware, looked everywhere and seen a lot of vids on cases, but how to compare is difficult.

Hope to have some thoughts shared on this.
Many thanks in advance.
And trying to upload the photo, srry :)