LEDs

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I need to find RGBW LEDs without ICs that are smaller or the same size of 5050. I want something very, very thin, I need this for a keyboard. I don't want something like the WS2812B or SK6812, but I still want them to be addressable. Do you guys know where I can get them?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
LEDs without ICs
but I still want them to be addressable

Either or. You can't have addressable LEDs without ICs in them.

EDIT: Anyway, the SK6812 seems to be the only addressable RGBW LED available on digikey. Why do you not want to use that? It's a 5050 package just like you described.
In general, 5050 seems to be the smallest package for addressable LEDs in the first place, but there could of course be some chinese sources that have smaller stuff.

Last edited:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Either or. You can't have addressable LEDs without ICs in them.

EDIT: Anyway, the SK6812 seems to be the only addressable RGBW LED available on digikey. Why do you not want to use that? It's a 5050 package just like you described.
In general, 5050 seems to be the smallest package for addressable LEDs in the first place, but there could of course be some chinese sources that have smaller stuff.
I want to use them in a keyboard. I can't use LEDs with ICs with an LED driver. I want an LED driver to limit the power for USB, unless there are any other ways to get the power limited. If I use LEDs with ICs, I have to mount them in the PCB, while if I use thin LEDs. I messed up in OP, I meant to say I was going to use a LED driver.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
You can take a look for yourself in this filter, but it seems there are very few products that will fit your bill.

Usually you'd limit the power to the LED with a series resistor, but I don't know whether that works with LEDs like that. You could just modulate the LEDs in your programming so they're a little dimmer, but that might cause flicker depending on how many you want to use and how many I/O pins you can use for connecting them.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
You can take a look for yourself in this filter, but it seems there are very few products that will fit your bill.

Usually you'd limit the power to the LED with a series resistor, but I don't know whether that works with LEDs like that. You could just modulate the LEDs in your programming so they're a little dimmer, but that might cause flicker depending on how many you want to use and how many I/O pins you can use for connecting them.
I think I'm just going to PWM, and I found a way to use USB 3.0, so yeah, it's good now.