Aura compatible single RBG LEDs?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

I know next to nothing about LED, but I am looking to get my hands on single RGB LEDs that I can just plug into an Aura header and have work. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like this? Cheers.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Get an RGB strip where each segment has just one LED on it. I think Adafruit has some, but I'm too lazy to search now. In general, every common anode 12V LED will work.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I'm gonna have to agree with @iFreilicht on this one. There aren't any bulb-style RGB LEDs that are 12V.

You can get discrete RGB LEDs but it's common cathode (ASUS AURA is common anode IIRC), not to mention only handling around 1/5th of the voltage.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
No need for a multimeter. Sparkfun uploaded the datasheet, which contains all the info you need.

You can calculate the series resistor value with R = (VS - VF) / IF, where VS is our supply voltage, 12V, VF is the forward voltage, 2V and 3.2V, and IF is the forward current, in this case 20mA.

This equates to 500Ω and 440Ω for the 2V and 3.2V LEDs respectively. Then only make sure that the resistors you're using are rated for more than 0.2W and everything should work perfectly fine.

Unless you're super worried about accurate colour representation, there's no need for extensive testing of different resistor values.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I intended the multimeter for determining the voltage range of the AURA header. I never assume things when working with undocumented proprietary systems.

I probably should have said 'voltmeter', but it's been a long time since I've seen a discrete wheatstone bridge.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh I see. At least we can assume that it drives 12V LEDs, that's already a good bit of information. But yeah, when we're talking about a potential product, it's better safe than sorry.