Learn Autodesk Fusion

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Not having much luck fighting FreeCAD, it still doesn't seem quote ready for general use (e.g. no auto midpoint constraints, copy/paste in sketches is instead moved to 'clone' which copies some constraints but not others, etc).

Reactions: Josh | NFC

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
Would transitioning from 3ds max to fusion be a pretty easy task? I would assume they would have similar tools with them both being Autodesk software.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I was using max in highschool, so it's probably evolved, but Fusion is more along the lines of Sketchup as far as learning curve rather than something like Inventor or Solidworks.

I think Fusion is a perfect choice for people wanting to move on from Sketchup to a program that lets them prepare an idea for prototyping. Sketchup still is awesome for the design stage, but even with a billion plug-ins it's not a good fit for export for CAM

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What would the difference be in inventor between say a WX 5100 and it's desktop equivalent (RX 460 I believe). Would there be a really big difference in performance with a pro card?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What would the difference be in inventor between say a WX 5100 and it's desktop equivalent (RX 460 I believe). Would there be a really big difference in performance with a pro card?

Not really. Personally I'm not seeing a difference between my main system (GTX970) and my laptop (HD4400) in terms of performance there. CPU performance seems more important. Most stuff isn't being rendered on the GPU in the first place, AFAIK.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Inventor has since a few years ago transitioned to be DirectX compatible. so there is no reason, performance wise, to use a firepro or quadro card outside of extended support.

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Thanks to the suggestion here I've just started with the Fusion tutorials, coming from 3D modelling for scientific images (Blender etc. rather than CAD) and have to say I'm really liking how its put together. For anyone else thinking thinking about giving it a go there are built in tutorial sets and a directory of the PDF lessons here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/desig...al-for-fusion-360-ultimate/m-p/5416329#M57786 (go to the solution). The only difference is the data sets are called "basic training" not "fusion 101 training" as it says in the PDF.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
As someone who uses Inventor, do you think it would be worth it to transition to Fusion?

For me, who uses Inventor once or maybe twice a year for maybe 3-4 weeks at a time and who uses $15 of Inventor, I would say yes. Every time I load it up I spend a day re-familiarizing myself with it, and I know that many of my habits are not best practices. Inventor is a DEEP ocean.

For someone like you, who is MUCH more familiar and CAD-oriented, maybe not. But even still you would need to learn alot of powerful complimentary tools to have the same "basic" functionality as Fusion. For example, Inventor HSM and TruNest.

For creators who want to figure out the basics on how their model goes together and want to easily prototype it themselves then Fusion is the tool I would probably start with. For people like me who just want to hand over the concept to experienced engineers who know what tool to use and the difference in cost between 32 degrees and 31 degrees, then Fusion is great. If you are that experienced engineer, then you probably don't want to invest your learning time into Fusion, but then again, you wouldn't be reading this either. :D

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Thanks for the info! I have zero engineering experience or training but a Fine Arts background so plenty of concepts but unsure of how to bring them into being. This looks like a nice way to get involved with some design tools for a total novice such as myself. I mean bar napkin sketches can only get you so far right? A new years resolution in the making perhaps! :)

...and yes current and former Art school kids always capitalize Fine Arts..:cool:

Reactions: VegetableStu