Lazer3D and Static Discharge

lunarian

Case Bender
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
So I recently built a PC with the Lazer3D casing. I want this to be my travel gaming PC and so I purchased a hardcase for the PC with prescorched foam. I'm wondering because the Lazer3D is made of acrylic, that it lacks the proper "Faraday Cage" effect. The only reason I'm concerned is that there is a reasonable amount of static electricity inside of this hardcase due to the foam that was included. I'm not sure what options I have available to protect the PC from static discharge. Anyone have any thoughts?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't think it would be an issue, especially if you're using a grounded PSU. I can think of two people who would have more experience though.

I would think that the metal standoffs would conduct the static, and the solder around the mounting holes on mobos is often for grounding, so it SHOULD just go into the psu and back into the wall in theory.

I could be very wrong, though.

@Thehack Is this an issue? (I basically ping you for every electrical thing don't I? XD)

@K888D Have you had any issues with this, or have there been any reports of it?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The foam shouldn't build up static though. You generally get static from rubbing two insulators. It is only charged due to the manufacturing process likely. You can discharge it by placing it in a humid environment.

Generally the damage comes from a direct static discharge, since the charged part won't come in contact with any internal components this is unlikely.

But if the application requires it, you can wrap the case with antistatic foam/bag or replace the foam with anti static foam types.

Anti static stuff is essentially a semi conductive material. It is a little conductive so that it can discharge but not so conductive that it'll cause static.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've built quite a few PC's into acrylic cases and haven't experienced any issues from static charge. I have a few Lazer3D cases being used in my workshop and few at home for various duties and have yet to have any component issues. I've also not received any reports from customers regarding this up to this point.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: Phuncz

lunarian

Case Bender
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
Ok! Thanks for all the quick responses! I appreciate it! I think I’m just overworried. First time I built a PC.

Reactions: Windfall

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The foam shouldn't build up static though. You generally get static from rubbing two insulators. It is only charged due to the manufacturing process likely. You can discharge it by placing it in a humid environment.

Generally the damage comes from a direct static discharge, since the charged part won't come in contact with any internal components this is unlikely.

But if the application requires it, you can wrap the case with antistatic foam/bag or replace the foam with anti static foam types.

Anti static stuff is essentially a semi conductive material. It is a little conductive so that it can discharge but not so conductive that it'll cause static.
Wouldn't inserting and removing an acrylic case from a tight-fitting foam cutout (and it shifting during transportation) qualify as "rubbing two insulators"?

Still, I wouldn't worry much - after all, it'd take some pretty extreme static to spark through the acrylic and into a component, and all all outside-accessible parts (I/O shield, GPU brackets, standoffs/screws etc) are supposed to be grounded, meaning any discharge into them ought to dissipate through the ground plane of the system, even when not connected to power and not overload any one component. Of course this is far riskier than the same happening when actually being grounded, but it should minimize risk still. Of course, covering the case in an antistatic bag or replacing the foam with antistatic foam would negate this entirely.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wouldn't inserting and removing an acrylic case from a tight-fitting foam cutout (and it shifting during transportation) qualify as "rubbing two insulators"?

Still, I wouldn't worry much - after all, it'd take some pretty extreme static to spark through the acrylic and into a component, and all all outside-accessible parts (I/O shield, GPU brackets, standoffs/screws etc) are supposed to be grounded, meaning any discharge into them ought to dissipate through the ground plane of the system, even when not connected to power and not overload any one component. Of course this is far riskier than the same happening when actually being grounded, but it should minimize risk still. Of course, covering the case in an antistatic bag or replacing the foam with antistatic foam would negate this entirely.

Not really. It hardly moves. Especially if the foam is nice and tight as it should be for transport.