Production k_ses: k3.93L ( 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2X @ 5.29L )

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
A Reddit user from Germany will finally be the first stranger to receive one of my k_ses (k3.93L v1.1) 🥳

Last edited:

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Just came accross that case concept

i love it, pretty reminescent of the s4 mini, which is discontinued. I believe the slighlty larger version to be better, perhaps with support of the new 500 hdplex gan ? (i’ve seen it's on their website, didn't check the dimension compared to the 250w version.

Also the fact that it's not closed on one side make it less portable / backpackable as it feels less safe

But i dig the look and size a lot !

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
i love it, pretty reminescent of the s4 mini, which is discontinued.

Maybe in size/format but it is as different as it can be for a small console style case. Very basic (minimalistic/functional)... alot more panels and details on the S4 mini.

The card is also mounted differently:

- No need for big feet in horizontal orientation since both gpu and cpu take in air from the same side.

- You don't depend on a niche riser cable, but can use the same riser as on many sandwich style cases. (I actually first had used a PCIE3 that was sourced from a 'SKTC A07'-> horrible venting pattern but easy to build in and 60€ with shipping and riser). If your a 'enthusiast' why should the risers keep piling up along with your cases :p

- No limit in graphics card thickness (slot's) and length!!! ;)

I believe the slighlty larger version to be better, perhaps with support of the new 500 hdplex gan ?

Larger version? The k3.93L can expand..! I can do kits for Flex-ATX or SFX PSU's or you can do it yourself since it would be way easier than a whole case from scratch. All standoffs and cutouts are placed and in a solid steel base which you can latch on with easy to work thin wood, acryl or 3D prints.

Also the fact that it's not closed on one side make it less portable / backpackable as it feels less safe

I carry it like this.

- Just put this side against a foam pad(?) in your backpack. Either it is a divider or the padding between your back and contents of your backpack.

- Or depending on your mousepad size you can role it into your mousepad/put your mousepad over this side.

- My monitor stand kit is also designed to close both openings for compact transportation ;)

Last edited:

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I have to admit i am slightly confused, let's say i buy a k.3.93, PSU expansion would almost need to happen externally ? in the flex atx psu instance , i doubt it fits in place of the hdplex 250w gan (then againg it's passive so i might be tempted to go for it)

edit : watching the short intro video to the case in the first post, i now understand how it works, sorry for being stupid and not watch it ...
Do you have any small extension already made ? (i need to fit my rx 6600 which is 192mm i believe)

The monitor stand is very interesting, as it blend the pc in fully, and i get the point, so transport shouldn't be an issue.

An regarding my comment on the s4 mini, yes i was refering to the overall size, it is a massive advantage to only use one side for cooling (can lay flat on the desk, or even mounted to a wall who knows)

I may be interested in one, i need to build a new pc though but that case is almost a golden candidate for me. Seeing that it's smaller than my work 15 inch laptop ... i am tempted

Last edited:

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
I have to admit i am slightly confused, let's say i buy a k.3.93, PSU expansion would almost need to happen externally ? in the flex atx psu instance , i doubt it fits in place of the hdplex 250w gan (then againg it's passive so i might be tempted to go for it)

edit : watching the short intro video to the case in the first post, i now understand how it works, sorry for being stupid and not watch it ...
Do you have any small extension already made ? (i need to fit my rx 6600 which is 192mm i believe)

The monitor stand is very interesting, as it blend the pc in fully, and i get the point, so transport shouldn't be an issue.

An regarding my comment on the s4 mini, yes i was refering to the overall size, it is a massive advantage to only use one side for cooling (can lay flat on the desk, or even mounted to a wall who knows)

I may be interested in one, i need to build a new pc though but that case is almost a golden candidate for me. Seeing that it's smaller than my work 15 inch laptop ... i am tempted
I was also more interested in the larger version until I saw the video of how the k3.93L can expand if you need it to. Very cool design. Hopefully he makes more!

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Yup, I'd love to retain my rx 6600 that I just bought but it's 192mm in length I believe so ... yeah

I don't need a big extension personally, perhaps a cut in the gpu slot like the s4 mini did (or the other s4) could be enough for me idk. My need is portability, to go from my flat to my parents on the week end and take it with me. A laptop does make sense too, but they feel less "diy" (framework 16 could work but when the heck does it release)

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
@jujudk ...the k4.32L was designed to fit your exact RX 6600 (Pulse from Sapphire?) ;)
I have 4 of it left, but would also like to make more k3.93L in the future :)

A single 250W GaN is probably sufficient for you so all that your k3.93L would need to do is expand by ~15mm. For this I would use a piece of wood (360x60x15mm) and longer screws in the front section. Carve out ~13mm of the 15mm to accommodate the cards overhang and screw the wood on with the longer screws. I was planning to maybe show this off with a RX 7600 MBA (which is still not available). With how the v1.1 is now this would require permanent changes to the cover.... (cutting of the front section). But would be a cool mod... whatever wood grain and finish you like.

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Omg it's beautiful.

The 4,32 would be perfect for me indeed i feel like (just need to find a cheap am4 motherboard or lga 1700 whatever). and could be kept for a while as, in worst case scenario, i could probably watercool a big apu in it in the future (if entry elvel gpu goes away i mean)

Any idea of how much it would cost ? ("base" k3,93 and the wood expansion ?)
I mean it can take a 4060 ti, and probably a 4070 when the itx models come out (didn't see one yet, but 200w can easily be done. But evga was doing them so idk)

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I could offer the base k3.93L for 100€., don't know how scalable this is. Unit cost goes down... and then maybe not really because what I'm fine with doing myself on 5 units becomes repetitive on 50... costs of a site, payment fees and possible returns.

100€ or below is a good price to aim for I think.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I designed an expansion that lets you use the upcoming 500W GaN with your k3.93L… it also increases the maximum graphics card length to ~235mm. Use just the 500W or a 250W along with it for 750W, also 2x 250W would still be possible. The case grows from 360x60x182mm (3.93L) by 55mm to 360x60x237mm (5.12L) ;)

VERY excited with how beautifully it fits in with my design... :') I'll just have to do it!

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I designed an expansion that lets you use the upcoming 500W GaN with your k3.93L… it also increases the maximum graphics card length to ~235mm. Use just the 500W or a 250W along with it for 750W, also 2x 250W would still be possible. The case grows from 360x60x182mm (3.93L) by 55mm to 360x60x237mm (5.12L) ;)

VERY excited with how beautifully it fits in with my design... :') I'll just have to do it!
Excited about it too, i mean adding one liter, is adding capability for so much gpu

And, there's a dead space if you use the 500w hdplex GAN, in stead of the 250w unit in the 3.93 ..... I ponder if ssd could fit here (disassembled, as in pcb only, cause it's damn small usually). I am now interested only because of the small size. I would use it entirely in vertical mode, i don't know yet if i want it hidden by a pc monitor or seen.... With nice fans, and a small mesh it could look good. Wall mounted would be insane too honestly

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Excited about it too, i mean adding one liter, is adding capability for so much gpu

Yes, I wish there was a certain (standard) length where I could aim for with these expansions or case design in general. But graphics card lengths are mostly just random each generation…

(I set 237mm/55mm for the expansion but we could also do a few mm less, because as you can see on the side (or front) view, the 500W GaN could move a little into the base 3.93 until it reaches the board. This would make 250W+500W more difficult (to impossible). Dual 250W would still be doable with the 2nd 250W GaN rotated by 90° as I showed in the introduction video. Not worth it for 2-3mm I thought.)

And, there's a dead space if you use the 500w hdplex GAN, in stead of the 250w unit in the 3.93 ..... I ponder if ssd could fit here (disassembled, as in pcb only, cause it's damn small usually).

It’s not much but I know what you mean. In the k4.32L it was useful to put all the excess cables there, but in your scenario the space underneath the 500W GaN could probably be used to hide this excess.

SATA SSD’s is a good use case. Depending on your board two would probably don’t even have to be disassembled. Either way… a cage or something that holds them could use the empty mounting holes (M3 spacing 144x33,3mm) from the 250W GaN.

This leads to one thing I would like to ask: Should the cover of the 5.12L expansion include the mounting holes for both 250W and 500W GaN? I would do small pilot holes (1~2mm diameter) this way the precise position for modifications/ 250W GaN use is there and just needs to be re-drilled with 3,5mm(/sunk?). I would do/did the same for top and bottom of the case… ->144x33,3mm spacing though no GaN will be ever mounted there (probably), but the spacing and position is set for anyone to do anything with it and have it interchangeable/shareable between k3.93’s …stand/VESA mount.. A wall mount using a VESA mount? ;)

I don’t like unused space and this led me to SFF in 2009… (2011 build Lian Li PC-Q07) the goal of the k3.93L is to always be able to right size.

Another possible placement of the 500W GaN would be where the 250W GaN currently is! This would require the k3.93L to expand by 15mm and 28mm to 360x75x210 (5.67L)... larger volume, only one GaN at all times and only 208mm graphics cards (no 4070 Twin Edge or 6700XT Fighter). Positives would be bigger CPU-cooler clearance AND a lot of the empty space condensed into the graphics card section where a short PCB (4080?) could be fitted with an aftermarket heatsink that has good height available and can overhang to both sides (cutting into the empty space above the riser). But I think this is something for someone to do himself, since I can’t think of any such aftermarket heatsink currently.

• What would be more interessting to you: 500W GaN or Flex-ATX expansion?
  • I want to keep the "cheap" and effective openings for the base k3.93 cover (they can be used as is, for 3d printed mesh inserts or wire mesh cut to size), but generally open to suggestions especially regarding the covers for expansions. 5.12 might be still ok with the openings… (but don’t know)?

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
As cool as it is to fit the 500-watt plus the 250-watt hdplex GAN units, I can't envision what parts a person could fit in the case that could use the 750-watt potential. The cards to target that won't need more than a 500-watt PSU:
NVIDIA
4070 Zotac Twin edge at 227mm
4070 MSI Ventus 2x at 242mm
4070 Founders edition at 244mm
AMD
6700xt Powercolor Fighter at 228mm
6700xt/6750xt MSI Mech 2x at 247mm

I'm sure you've already looked at this list plenty. In your render, can you keep the 500 watt where you have it and make the case narrower by eliminating the position of the 250w psu? It's hard to tell if the clearances would allow that and it might still leave you with dead space.

I think this case has a market as one of the few drop-in's for the larger 500-watt unit. Keep at it!

Reactions: Runamok81

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
@scatterforce I'm at 360mm and this distance because this type of riser is pretty common... fits nicely without bending much and is interchangeable with many sandwich style cases. It not only allows a GaN inbetween with up to ~125mm height cards, but also a 4090FE (137mm) or some model with even more height without it (using a SFX PSU).

It also makes the position of the 500W GaN even possible... any closer to the board and the card or it's power connector colides with it. The length of it will make it hard to fit it in any more compact.

... and this is not a case build around just one PSU ;)

I mentioned the Twin Edge (4070) and Fighter (6700/XT) as options. And also looked for a 7600 to fit (as ridiculous as it sounds). The Twin Edge/Fighter is enough for now I think... why make it even a couple mm bigger to fit the Ventus 2X (242mm) when the geniuses at MSi are just going to change the length with the next iteration XD

Currently a Flex-ATX PSU expansion would allow for a Gigabyte 4070Ti! And with 60mm height one could open the Flex-ATX PSU and cool it with a 92mm fan instead of a loud stock 40mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterforce

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I do believe that the 500w GAN is enough for 99% of users.
It's an aircooled case, so big gpus are out, top that fits the current way of the extension is probably a 4070ti at most... So it can be fed, and undervolting is just so nice that it shouldn't be an issue

A watercooled version to fit a 4090 might be doable, extreme but doable, an even then it can be slightly undervolted to pull at most 300/320w, the 500w GAN should be able to endure that ?

Regargind flext atx, my opinion is that both form factors are good. I would rather have 2 option within 1 expansion module : flext atx mouting hole and GAN 500w. As said before the empty space can probably allow at least 2 bare sata ssd to be mounted easily, and tuck some cables in (if someone is crazy enough, even fit a tiny reservoir or pump for watercooling)

Reactions: Madsox

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I do believe that the 500w GAN is enough for 99% of users.

More flexibility is always better (if it doesn’t cost any mm³)... who knows what people might come up with ;)

Regargind flext atx, my opinion is that both form factors are good. I would rather have 2 option within 1 expansion module : flext atx mouting hole and GAN 500w.

A Flex-ATX expansion of course could also fit the 500W GaN instead, but would be 360x60x268mm (5.79L) when you only needed 360x60x237mm (5.12L)...

Reactions: jujudk