Image Credit – Jarrod’s Tech

Jarrod’s Tech has benchmarked the RTX 4070 laptop GPU against the full desktop version, and the results are not pretty. For those that don’t know, Nvidia uses the same name for their laptop GPUs as their desktop models. However, while the names are the same, the specs are very, very different. The laptop GPUs have reduced CUDA cores, reduced clocks, and reduced power usage. The result is that the laptop GPU offers nowhere near the performance of the desktop model of the same name. As the laptop GPUs are often used in SFF prebuilt computers, it’s important know the difference in performance.
Check out the video below, and make sure you subscribe.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Phuncz

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Can’t say I’m surprised. The laptop gpus have been branded with basically false advertising for years and no one is willing to go after them over it

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Can’t say I’m surprised. The laptop gpus have been branded with basically false advertising for years and no one is willing to go after them over it
This essentially. I can't remember when mobile GPUs were in the same league as the desktop version, but this kind of sham has also been done with CPUs for a very long time. Core i3 up to i7 all being dual-core was cringe.