Janky NAS build

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
This is a weird project to test FreeNAS and RAID (first time with both of these.)

Since I'm apathetic and can't be bothered to get imgur, here are the specs (roughly)
  • Asus m3a78-t AM2 motherboard
  • Phenom X4 9650
  • Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
  • Janky 2TB Hitachi drive with SMART status of "BAD" (and a WD 500GB 7200RPM that's fairly new).

Today's update:
Looked at the FreeNAS website, said that ECC DIMMs were recommended. Since I have a few (more like 16) 2GB registered sticks lying around, I decided to attempt to use them. Turns out they were registered, after doing a deeeeeep part number search for two of the chips on the stick. Now I can't use them and they'll sit in a box. *sniffs*

This thread will mainly be a thing to showcase how janky things can get when you get me to work on something, and to have some kicks and such. If this works, perhaps I'll design a case to stuff things into.

Before I get chased out of town with pitchforks and get modern art VRM heatsinks thrown at me, yes, I am using an ATX motherboard. Don't worry, I'll use the space efficiently, considering that I can probably stuff the power supply above the PCIe slots.