I've got an idea for a sleeper PC

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I've got this old HP 6005 Compaq Pro which has an Athlon x2 B28 with some kind of proprietary motherboard and GPU built into the MB (that I replaced with a cheap AMD LP GPU I found, think it was called "HD 8350". It had some weird DVI output that I needed a cable to convert to VGA.

Anyways here's some pics of this model from google to show what I'm working with:

Unlike most LP cases this thing's actually got a fan blowing horizontally in other words you can lay the case flat and even put stuff directly ontop of it like a monitor without impeding airflow.

My idea is to see if I can mod it to have mATX standoffs and maybe a TFX PSU to replace the weird one it came with.
From there a LP GPU (probably wait for Navi to replace my RX 460)

For the front end of the case I'd remove that intake fan shroud thing and just put a drive mount there. The cooler that came with it is a tower style cooler, but get this, it's only like ~80mm tall. I need to 1. Mod it to fit AM4 and 2. Find a fan (40-80mm) to slap on it so it's no longer a passive heatsink.

Lastly I'll leave the 5.25 optical drive , but there's an external 3 inch drive slot as well I might be able to find a card reader or something to fill that slot.

It's such a beautiful form factor case, I just wish it wasn't proprietary. As it is my worst fear is not being able to get standoffs to the correct height to line up the IO with the case properly. I have no experience in doing this. Any tips? Any actual case alternatives I can just buy that actually work with standard components?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's not really proprietary - that form factor is M-BTX, a phailed attempt at better cooling from Intel. Have a look at the likes of the Acer Veriton SFF for a better laid out option (less modding needed as they are basically M-DTX form factor)

That weird DVI connector you speak of is DMS-59 - designed for low budget multi monitor output.

A note: The CE685 looks like a modern Inwin BL series, a welcome addition of cooling to what was a hot case. The included power supplies in their cases (In-Win or Powerman branded) are really solid and reliable though!

Reactions: JosephEK

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
+1 on the InWin. I have a micro ATX case from 10 years ago that came with a PSU and that PSU is still going strong (albeit it's been barely used lately, but still)

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
It's not really proprietary - that form factor is M-BTX, a phailed attempt at better cooling from Intel. Have a look at the likes of the Acer Veriton SFF for a better laid out option (less modding needed as they are basically M-DTX form factor)

That weird DVI connector you speak of is DMS-59 - designed for low budget multi monitor output.

A note: The CE685 looks like a modern Inwin BL series, a welcome addition of cooling to what was a hot case. The included power supplies in their cases (In-Win or Powerman branded) are really solid and reliable though!
That would explain the weird Intel cooler mounting on an AMD CPU it has.

My biggest concern with these cases is the single 90mm fan and how it doesn't appear to provide airflow to the GPU or PSU

Would this TFX PSU and a LP 75W GPU be able to stay cool in a case like this where the only case fan is only pointing at the CPU and upper part of the MB? If there would be trouble can you think of a quick and easy mod that would help remedy the situation?

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Since it appears to be vented all along the front, you may be able to rig up some small fans under the 5.25" bay to get more air to the GPU and PSU, just not sure on the space you have under that bay

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Since it appears to be vented all along the front, you may be able to rig up some small fans under the 5.25" bay to get more air to the GPU and PSU, just not sure on the space you have under that bay
My thoughts exactly. I wonder if 40mm fans will fit there.