Part Issue(s) with PCIe 4.0 & PCIe extension cables...?

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Just curious how the move to PCIe 4.0 for upcoming X570 motherboards will affect those using a chassis that requires a PCIe extender cable...?

This may also impact any of the older AM4 motherboards that can (with proper BIOS update) run PCIe 4.0 in the first PCIe slot...?

Thoughts...?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i think there was talk on existing X470 etc boards only supporting PCIe4 on the closest slot, but if anything it should be fine in general, if IBM's POWER9 systems are any indicator (they have multiple slots running at gen 4)

might have issues with signal integrity requirements and how sensitive the lines are to noise and interference. only way to find out is to wait for boards to arrive and test them. i might keep an eye out on chained-risers though (the riser used in silverstone's ML08, NFC's siliflex risers)

probably not possible to chain multiple meters of risers on PCIe4, LOL

any word if 3M has risers ready for PCIe4? o_o

NSDesign

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
This guy claims to be PCIE 4.0 verified.
The specs shows using same Twin Axial wires as used in 3M.

Last edited:

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
LINKUP extreme is tested up to 50cm: i wonder if that means anything for shorter cheaper cables

in addition, although its an eh test:
linkup not extreme (1m?????) working at 4.0 in time spy

edit: im convinced now: over on [h] c_payne (pcie bifurcation jesus, basically) tested a 50cm non extreme and it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
The existing 3M risers are certified for PCIe 4.0. Nothing else is as far as I know. Will be very interested to see if everyone's existing risercards shit the bed on PCIe 4.0 (Risergate!)
Mine did. Evolv Shift cable would not run 4.0 on my system. Would shut the PC off it is that bad.

O