Inverted GPU plate?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

@GreatestUnKnown pointed me to a build in the Logic Supply MC600 case. In said build, the user mounted their video upside-down by flipping the expansion slot plate over and installing the card that way. Here's a picture of the card installed. Normally, the fan of the card would be facing the bottom of the case--where it probably couldn't breathe much.

I'm considering getting a different card from the one that person used, and one that I'm seriously considering doesn't have a symmetrical set of I/O, so one does not simply flip the I/O plate.

Does anyone have any sorts of contacts or resources or fabrication capabilities? Would it be feasible to have someone 3D-print or fabricate an 'inverted' I/O plate?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Could you get some aluminum and use a dremel to make your own?

At a certain point, I can probably just salvage some extra covers from old stuff to do something like that. I'm holding out hope for something with a satisfying fitment/look before trying to hack something myself.

Heck, it's possible I don't even 'really' need the brackets and could just use some extra bracing some other way.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
That looks pretty promising, but it says there's a 500 piece minimum for custom plates. I'll try contacting them but I'm not optimistic. :(

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Maybe buy some blanks and cut them yourself? Maybe sellers on ebay or amazon that offer low qty blanks?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
You might be able to request a blank 'sample' (Bent, but no holes?) in the same way I requested a sample for 12mm vandal switches for the M1 from a seller on alibaba.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I 3D printed my expansion slot covers, but my printer needs some work that won't be done until tomorrow at the earliest.

-edit-
Spelling

Reactions: Phuncz and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Did those work out/provide enough support? Would you be willing to try to make (a two-slot) one that would match up with my upside-down GPU?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Did those work out/provide enough support? Would you be willing to try to make (a two-slot) one that would match up with my upside-down GPU?
Indeed they did, but I currently have a very light 750ti LP mounted on a riser cable, a support bracket, and some rigid water tubing. I think I can make it work for another card though. I'd be willing to try at any rate.

Reactions: Ceros_X and zovc

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
If you could take relevant measurements and post them I'd happily get on it after work tonight. Tomorrow I get some spare parts in to fix what broke and then I can test the models.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
The best I can really offer at the moment is a pretty good (though not exactly square) stock photo from Galax's website.

The card I'm hoping to get is their 1070 mini, there are pretty clean shots of the card (as one might expect), and there is a pretty good reference shot of the I/O and PCI-e bracket.

Reactions: Biowarejak

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I am sure there are other places to find these measurements/drawings, but the place that @jtd871 linked has a 'worksheet' with lots of info on port sizes and stuff.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'll take a look at that in a bit.

-Edit-

Looks interesting but it's missing things like, you know, dimensions. :p That's fine, I've made a dual slot before and I've worked with DVI and HDMI connectors to do it, which all fit well.

Last edited: