CPU Intel to announce Ice Lake after 8th gen CPUs!!!

AleksandarK

/dev/null
Original poster
May 14, 2017
Intel announced that they will be releasing Ice Lake(so many lakes) after 8th Gen Coffee Lake. Does this mean that Cannon Lake will merge in 8 gen CPUs. Very confusing.
Source

Reactions: VegetableStu

AleksandarK

/dev/null
Original poster
May 14, 2017
It may be that way.

But it doesnt make sense since CFL is 14++nm and CNL is 10nm. Ice Lake is 10+nm. They would basicly skip a node.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I've heard they basically canceled Cannon Lake for desktop in favor of pushing up the Ice Lake launch, so Cannon lake will be mobile only.

Intel has really fallen behind on their release schedule due to how much trouble 10nm has given them, so now they are trying to push product lines through. Remember Coffee Lake wasn't originally a thing, we were supposed to get Kaby Lake then move to Cannon Lake then Ice Lake, but they had to introduce Coffee Lake as a stopgap, and aren't keen on delaying Ice Lake.

Reactions: AleksandarK

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'm getting a bit sick from all the new product announcements this year. Can't keep them straight.
By the time I'm ready to buy a new desktop (just bought a KL this spring), will likely be comparing Intel's 10th-gen with whatever AMD has (Zen4?).

mantide

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2016
I've heard they basically canceled Cannon Lake for desktop in favor of pushing up the Ice Lake launch, so Cannon lake will be mobile only.

Intel has really fallen behind on their release schedule due to how much trouble 10nm has given them, so now they are trying to push product lines through. Remember Coffee Lake wasn't originally a thing, we were supposed to get Kaby Lake then move to Cannon Lake then Ice Lake, but they had to introduce Coffee Lake as a stopgap, and aren't keen on delaying Ice Lake.
I am guessing 10nm desktop chip arrives no earlier than 2019