CPU 10nm cpu

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
So apparently Intel will release their 10nm Cannon Lake in 2017, but will it be the 45W version only? Or will they also have serious desktop CPUs?

This will make a big impact on the SFF community, no? Stronger CPU with less thermal issues? We can use smaller coolers :)

When do you expect 65W or higher CPUs to be available? And will there be a Mini ITX supporting them!?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Presumably they will release chips at the same TDP limits as previous generations (35W T chips, 65W non-K chips and 90-95W K chips) but will simply have higher stock clocks and better overclocking headroom due to the increased efficiency. As with any previous generation you will see an improvement in performance across the board and I don't think this will disproportionately benefit the SFF community

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's really just too early to say, there isn't even a lot of hard info on Coffee Lake yet, like if the chipset and socket are going to be compatible with Skylake/Kaby Lake or not.

I doubt thermals are going to get much better, TDP is unlikely to drop that much for the higher-end desktop CPUs if AMD keeps putting the pressure on and Intel responds with higher clocks. Plus the smaller transistor size increases the heat density.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Coffee Lake is set to release this year in August and Canon Lake in 2018.
Intel said that they will have lead on 10nm for three years. New proces willl increase performance and reduce power consumption, but i dont belive we will see drop in TDP. I really think that we will finally see some improvments with Coffee Lake, and Cannon Lake of course due to new process, as some early benchmarks showed that Intels chip was better at 3.19Ghz then 1600X at 3.6Ghz.

EndlessWaves

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2017
What I mean is, better thermal / performance.

E.G. I no longer need an 81W Skylake, because the 65W Coffee lake performs as well.

Do you need an 81W Skylake right now?

If you bought the 81W Skylake because it was faster when the 65W one would have done the job then the same logic will apply to coffee lake.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I can use all the juice I can get, but I'm thermal and space limited and need silent operation.

I need to learn more about undervolting. I read the thread, but didnt quite understand. So maybe the undervolted delidded 10nm equivelent of a 7700k will be my thing.